Home General Discussion

Is this normal? Another Art Test question

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
sefice polycounter lvl 8
Hey polycounters, An international studio is opening locally where I live and I emailed them asking them what positions are available (It wasn't clear on their website, it just said ART). Weird thing is, they answered by telling me to send in my portfolio and resume. I didn't reply right away. I thought it would be best to wait on some freelance work I had done to be released so I can include and update my portfolio before sending it to this studio.

A few weeks later I received a call from a representative telling me that they've looked at my portfolio (they looked me up) and asked me to send in my resume and proceeded into an interview. They asked some basic interview questions and at one point asked for some salary expectations, which was weird because they never mentioned anything about a job position, so I was put on the spot. It felt very aggressive, the representative also kept mentioning words like "applied" and "your application" but I haven't technically applied to anything. In the end they told me I got short-listed.

A day after, they sent me an email with an art test due in 5 days. Now I am wondering if it is even worth the time taking it since I do not know any information about the job at all. The Art Test does not have anything to do with my portfolio either but I do not want to dismiss this just yet because it could mean a step-up for my career.

Freelancing has been great for me but I wanted to take a full-time role in this studio to grow as an artist (as cliche as it goes) but now I'm having second thoughts because the art test was suddenly dropped on me without warning, on a Friday night no less, and I don't think I can invest the time to do it and might drop a huge opportunity.

I've told a few of my friends about this and now I'm posting it here looking for a second opinion.

Replies

• slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Wait, you went in for an interview and didn't ask them what the position was for or what sort of art you would be doing?  If you were wondering it and asking here for a second opinion, why not just ask them?
  • aesir
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    It sounds like they looked you up, liked your work, and are interested in hiring you.  You might be getting weird vibes from them, but that's a whole other thing.

I personally don't think I'll ever do an art test for free for anyone, but then I don't work in games, so I think my opinion is a bit bunk here.

Like slosh said, your responsibility is to ask them a billion questions.  
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    They sound like weirdos; but who knows? It could be a great thing. I'd suggest asking them as many questions as you can before going forward.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    sefice said:
    A day after, they sent me an email with an art test due in 5 days. Now I am wondering if it is even worth the time taking it since I do not know any information about the job at all. The Art Test does not have anything to do with my portfolio either but I do not want to dismiss this just yet because it could mean a step-up for my career.
    Tell them to fuck off.

Don't work for nothing. It's a test of your compliance. They obviously like your work already. Why else would they be in contact?

They can pay you for it or take a hike. Art tests are a joke
  • EarthQuake
    Telling them to fuck off would be dumb, unless you're the sort that really likes burning bridges.

If you've got pressing contract work and little free time, tell them that, and that you'll be happy to do a sample asset for them at your normal freelance rates. If they're seriously interested, they might pay you for an art test, if they decline, you're probably still in a position to do the art test anyway if you really want the job.

I'm of the opinion that unpaid art tests suck, I've somehow managed to go most of my career without doing them. However, if I really, really wanted to work at a studio I would probably do one, but not after asking to be paid for my time first.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Yeah, don't literally say "fuck off." But don't work for free either. Same thing. Even EQ here says he's never done one.
  • EarthQuake
    Another way to look at this whole situation. Typically, at a studio of substantial scale (don't know if this is the case here), the person flagging portfolios, the person setting up interviews, and the person giving out art tests could very well be different people, and especially if they are staffing up a fresh team/studio, communication lines can easily get blurred.

So I would hesitate to infer some sort of sinister motive to all of this, it's perfectly likely that this is just the standard sort of poor communication that you might see whenever you've got art department people mixing with HR. For instance, some art department person liked your work and put it in the pile with the other hopeful applications (most of whom probably applied), your info was then given to HR or some manager, who is probably responsible for putting them into the next phase. You got through the interview, and got passed on the the phase after that, which is art tests for the people they like.

If any of this seems weird or in any way sketchy, just take the time to ask questions and clarify the situation. I feel like a lot of artists in this situation seem to think that asking for information reflects poorly on them or shows some sort of weakness, but it doesn't at all. However, If you can't clear up the situation with a few emails, it might be time to move on.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    sefice said:
     the representative also kept mentioning words like "applied" and "your application" but I haven't technically applied to anything. In the end they told me I got short-listed.
    I'm not agressive, but the same thing happened to me once by mistake, as interviewer. I thought for a long time that the candidate applied for a job, but in reality we approached him first. I realized my mistake mid-interview and from now on I always make sure before interviewing to ask HR how we initially approached a candidate.
    The same thing may have happened here. The interviewer may have thought "you want a job from them" vs. "we want you". In the latter scenario a studio may want to skip the art test. But it really depends on studio policies, and HR's flexibility. Might even be a legal thing and someone may scream "OMG I had to do an art test and this new guy didn't! not fair!".
  • sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the insight everyone.

@slosh
    The interview felt rushed, I didn't have the chance to ask any questions but that was on me. I emailed them asking them what position this was for but they haven't replied yet.

I'm just stumped on the lack of info they gave me.

EDIT:
    I just want to clarify I do not suspect the studio to have any ulterior motive. I am just hesitant in taking an art test that requires a time investment with no information as to what position this might lead to because the test requires me to do an environment but my portfolio clearly shows characters (I can only say that much).
  • Kevin Albers
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    Just ask them the questions. That it a totally valid aproach in this situation. What is the gig? Do they realize that your background is character-intensive, but you might be OK with an environment job?  Don't focus too much on asking Polycount the questions. Just be a basic compentent adult and force/hope they will do the same.

• sefice
    Offline / Send Message
    sefice polycounter lvl 8
    Okay, I got a reply from them through text and they said the test will be a basis what position I'll be profiled for. I think I'm dropping this one.
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    text? like text message sms?
  • slipsius
    "do an art test and we`ll see what we might need you for...." ya... drop it.