Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

PC-CSGO | Polygon [AWP] [WIP]

Hey Polycount Community! I love art stuff, but this is the first video game art project I have been a part of before, so any help, pointers or constructive criticism is very welcome! As soon as I learned of this contest i knew the style of skin I wanted to produce. I love the Cyberpunk aesthetic, so following that in an 80s Sci-Fi style is where my mind immediately started taking me. I wanted to make an AWP skin, so for this contest I will have to keep the aesthetic at the restricted tier.

Inspiration
I wanted to follow a low-poly 80s style of computer graphics, similar to the art for "Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon" (Yes i am aware this isn't an 80s title). This style uses geometry to trick a sense of perspective, which I think would look good with other shapes scattered around the grid as if it were a world loading in a video game.

Color scheme also follows this same style. A base color of purple with accents of other brighter colors seemed like the best approach, similar to the image below.

Producing the Skin
First I had to learn to make CSGO skins since I had never done it before, thank god for Youtube tutorials! After that I started experimenting with base colors on the AWP. I created a geometric grid on the body of the AWP in pastel blue over a purple base coat. Other parts of the AWP were colored in pink. This first attempt is FAR too pink.

I then tried changing some of the pink accents to the same pastel blue I used in the grid, which improved things greatly.

Following additions include adding a pink fade near the top of the AWP, adding some test shapes and other general touch-ups. These changes bring you to my latest version, which I feel is the best so far.

I still am not happy with this however. I need to add some more shapes to the side of the AWP, as well as improving the barrel of the rifle as it seems bland and empty. The text on the side also seems tacky, but leaving it blank looks worse so i will need to find a solution to this.

I welcome any suggestions as I am still looking for inspiration. Also I am a talentless fool and need guidance :smiley: