Hi guys, Here is the Lissandra and Ziggs birthday party! hope you guys like it

this is a link for the process video:

https://vimeo.com/166164077

Replies

• jellophish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jellophish polycounter lvl 7
    Oh my goodness, that's really well done *O* I really like the idea of Lissandra's ribbon headpiece!
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Awesome. Your style is fantastic, it's like a fusion of painterly and polished.

I wanted to ask you, in your video it's clear that you make a full size greyscale version and then proceed to colourise it and refine it further.
    Do you think it's faster this way, making the greyscale version first? Wouldn't it be faster to do it all in colour once?
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    love this, great work! :)
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    @RN
    Idk if it's the same for him but I generally use the greyscale phase for better control on values/tones before moving onto colour... it's considerably harder to get tonal values down with colour, it'll always be a breeze using greyscale. Just some food for thought :)

Great work btw Vando!
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    @RN
    Idk if it's the same for him but I generally use the greyscale phase for better control on values/tones before moving onto colour... it's considerably harder to get tonal values down with colour, it'll always be a breeze using greyscale. Just some food for thought :)
    @Kid.in.the.Dark thank you for the advice. I've been looking into using a gradient map adjustment layer and some crazy grouped layer setup so you can paint with black and white (like where light hits or doesn't), and have the adjustment layer make it colourful.
    I'm doing this after having a lot of trouble painting cloth since there's a lot of complex edges (transitions from hard to soft edges in the same fold), and this should make it easier.
  • Vando_01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vando_01 interpolator
    RN said:
    Awesome. Your style is fantastic, it's like a fusion of painterly and polished.

I wanted to ask you, in your video it's clear that you make a full size greyscale version and then proceed to colourise it and refine it further.
    Do you think it's faster this way, making the greyscale version first? Wouldn't it be faster to do it all in colour once?
    It's not necessarily faster, but I am trying to force myself to do a gray scale version of the painting first to try and get the values right, it is easier for me to do it this way because I'm not  thinking of color for a while :), once you get used to this you can get them done quicker. hope it helped.
  • Dartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dartist polycounter lvl 3
    Amazing job!  Thanks for showing the process!