Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wolfenstein Kubelwagon [WIP]

Doomathon
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
Decided to try something entirely new and make a vehicle. Picked a concept from the latest Wolfenstein series since I love that art style. I am basing my car more so on the concept with a bit of help from the in-game model as well. Going to take it to a game-ready model and texture it as well, and I'm super excited to do that since it has a lot of interesting textures going on. I also plan on adding the canopy roof part. Just got the block out done, but I also had some questions that I hope any vehicle gurus could help me with!

1. How many materials do vehicles this detailed usually have? I understand most have 2 (exterior & interior) but is that the same for something like this?
  2. Is there a specific way to execute that mechanical detail that is done under the car (more so near the wheel axel)? I experimented by making a low-poly box, then adding some mechanical devices inside that box then baking the normals, but it came out very wonky and not looking good at all. Any help with that would be awesome.

Replies

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Very cool idea! Love Wolfenstein and its current renditions art.

To answer your first question, current-gen vehicles are very commonly treated as characters when it comes to tri count and material counts. That being said, just split your materials/uv sheets where you see fit... All the tires are one, the metal framing on the canopy part can be one, interior etc... 

About the mechanical details - it's not too clear what you're trying to point out. Screencap what you mean! :)

Cheers!
  • Doomathon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doomathon polycounter lvl 4
    Hi Kanni3D,

Thanks for answering my questions, I appreciate it! Yeah I was thinking of having 2 materials for the car: one being the most visible part, the exterior (since this would be a static prop), and another for the interior/some exterior floating props. I thought about having one 4k for the whole car, then having another like 2k material maybe for anything that isn't a part of the make-up of the vehicle itself. I'll ponder my options some more as I'm finishing the high poly.

And I apologize, you're right I wasn't clear enough haha. So I was talking about the parts circled in red. On the high poly, it is a collection of parts that seem to be projected onto just a low poly box. The problem I have is that when I attempted to replicate that, I had issues with the normals looking too stretched (I baked this in painter by the way). I decided to turn off the "Average Normals" option to remedy the stretching but that of course creates the messy seams. I'll provide an image of the quick bake test I did to better illustrate what I mean. I also tried to turn off padding/dilation but that also creates seams of course. I know it's such a minor detail, but it's something I'd like to learn since it is used on other elements throughout the vehicle as well.

Thanks for your help!