Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

PC-CSGO | M4A4 & MP9 | [untitled] Fabrication idea - WIP

I'm not sure if this competition is specifically for new blood or just an attempt to reach out to a wider community. I've asked around and people more in the know than myself have said its the latter - so I've decided to give it a whirl.

Diary notes:

These first few days I've struggled with the brief '70s-80s sci-fi' -- initially I just couldn't see how that style was appropriate to the game, but I suspect we are about to see an update with wholesale content along that theme, so it may be temporarily appropriate at least. Having said that the Asiimov finish is both sci-fi inspired and hugely popular so that also lends credence to the theme.

My way into this brief: We can't change the forms of weapons, but we can change their apparent construction. So I'm thinking somewhere between spaceship plating / robots / gundams / general sci-fi fabrication aesthetics with simple colour application.

Ideally it wont be too detailed as the main role of the plating is to establish scale - so the plating needs to be quite large; to lend realism the colour shouldn't be overly vibrant and reflect a production line assembly method. At the same time bold accent colours will boost the attractiveness. I can't use white as thats been done, but there are plenty of colour palettes that could work. Also to add in a bit of what I like - symbols! I love logos, icons and symbols! Along with typography its the purest form of design - so expect the end result to feature them, hopefully along the lines of Ron Cobb's work in Alien / the Starcom toys of the late 80s.

What I've done so far:
I've opened up C4D, set up 6 scenes - 1 for each weapon, which contain a camera map, the original model for reference, and a paintable UV - just to keep my options open about how to approach this. I've temporarily narrowed down my options to the M4A4 and MP9 due to the weapon material / appearance of mass production through components.

I've collected a few hundred images, which I've further weened down to a mood board that will work with the current idea.

I've then started extremely crudely painting onto the models. Have a gander below.

Temporarily I've painted squares for logos which I will design later on. Colour scheme is subject to change, although I'm leaning towards the green for the M4A4 as it looks more militaristic whereas the yellow looks more logistical/utility orientated.

Sidenote:

Since the above stages Ive had intermittent power last week due to electrical problems, so I've worked offline and sketched out some quick roughs and then later made a few in illustrator. I want them to be a little esoteric but at the same time resemble cool things.

Ninjas? monkeys? guns? That loader Ripley uses in Aliens? Who knows for sure - so long as it looks cool! Also roughly drew up numbers that will work both left and right handed: 8,5,2,1,0.

Endnote:

I work very very slowly and like to mull things over so don't expect a daily update, but I'll post some on three conditions: I feel I've made progress, I don't completely abandon the idea!

Replies

• Snort77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am really digging these keep up the good work!
  • TheHoneyBadger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some refinements! 99% of the way there I think.

Instead of 'floating' plating patterns on a solid background, I've given the impression of plates fitting together to form the weapon.

I came up with a few names and numbers. '058' - reference to one of my favourite sci-fi shows in the mid 90s: 'the 58th' from Space above and beyond (reference only in number - the design bears no relevance).'02' because this is the 2nd M4A4 I've designed - plus I felt it needed a more traditional letter form for the receiver stencil. It needed words to add to the technical aesthetic, normally I avoid this for left handed viewing issues - but based on what has made it into the game its not as much as an issue as I thought. 'Rektek' - I made the rekt sticker, so I thought I'd get that in as a pun. 'Slapmag' - when reloading the M4A4 you slap it - just a another pun for some pointless tech gimmick.

Added pseudo-normals - as in light and shadow detail painted on. I'm not a fan of this generally, but it added detail to an otherwise flat design.

Next is the MP9 which I'll continue this week.
  • szili6boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    szili6boy vertex
    You always do great work Badger! Wasn't even surprised! Love it!
  • TheHoneyBadger
  • TheHoneyBadger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Just uploaded all 3 skins to the workshop, covers are above, workshop collection link below.
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=690898214

Major changes
    • developed the MP9 in line with the M4A4 design: rules are - blue confined mostly to under/rear areas, with yellow for the front/upper areas.
    • removed 'inner plateing' detail and instead sectioned off the weapon into 'large plate areas'.
    • Added some alpha wear variation refinement

Further changes since last update -
    • panel colour variation for subtle shade subtle differences,
    • repositioned plate lines on the fly.
    • added detail to M4A4 top rail sides (ridges and vents),
    • added more 'pseudo normal' detail to below fire selector and near the top chevron detail, added vent holes, added hidden magazine detail,
    • changed the top pull tab to feature the accent colour,
    • matched yellows between the MP9 and M4A4.
    • Reworked the MP9 grip area.
    • Added scuffs, scratches, subtle finger marks and smears - roughed it up a little bit!

I loved the green for the M4 but originally not the MP9; for the time being I've ommitted it.

UVs below (1/4 size)

Let me know what you think!
  • JonathanMacgregor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are all really good, IMO the blue and orange m4 is the best hands down. Great work man
  • Nolt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nolt polycounter lvl 13
    Like the shapes and silhouettes you're creating. Nice color schemes