Home Adobe Substance

Passing parameters in Substance Designer

lobachevscki
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lobachevscki polycounter lvl 5
I'm puzzled by this that I think it should be obvious but it isn't for me.

I have two graphs, let say graph Main and graph Utility. Main uses Utility 3 times and it is published to be used en Maya.

Utility does something and the only parameter that needs to be exposed is Color in a Color to Mask Node. I will call that paramater Utility_color

The idea is to use Utility more than once inside of Main because they are at least three masks to be edited in Maya. The goal is to give the user the ability to change the color in each mask, that is to say that if i have 3 Utilities inside Main, you could inside of Maya assign 3 different colors to 3 different parameters.

The problem is: I created three variables (let say, Color_1, Color_2, Color_3) inside of Main and passed one to each Utility, but the only parameter being exposed inside of Maya is Utility_color, i was expecting Maya to show me Color_1, Color_2 and Color_3 as parameters but I haven't yet found the way to do so.

I tried sort of a workaround just to move on.

I created two utility graphs: Utility_A and Utility_B. They are the same exact graph but the Utility_color parameter is different for each one. I included both of them in the Main graph instead of instancing just one utility hoping that given that the parameters are different Substance wouldn't have problem showing them in Maya.

Maya shows me only the color parameter corresponding to Utility_A. I was expecting to see both color parameters because i'm not instancing the original graph, I'm literally using two different one although they are the same in the inside.

I don't understand, this is pretty counterintuitive and frustrating if i may be honest.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

The original post in Allegoritmic's forum

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=9884.new#new

Replies