Home Contests & Challenges Archives CS:GO Weapon Finish Contest

PC-CSGO | Void Hawk (Desert Eagle) WIP

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Gaunt vertex
Very rough concept for the Desert Eagle "Void Hawk", intended as an entry for the CS:GO competition, drawing inspiration from Alien(s), Bladerunner and Space: 1999, the unremarkable colour scheme and overly utilitarian look should fit Mil-spec rarity well. Gunsmith will be the finish style.

Replies

• Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    The technique used will be high-to-low polygon bakes for ambient occlusion and cavity mapping, with hand texturing to complete the effect. Care has to be taken compensating for the final texture stack, the existing AO/Modulation image goes over the custom art ingame, and cannot be edited.
    Gunsmith style is the best for metallic effects, as it 'ages' as it wears, with proper use of the alpha channel, it's possible to avoid the varnish flaking effect and use specular exponent mapping.
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    Design wise, the spacegun prop from sci-fi action movies is the intent, like the M41A Pulse Rifle being made from a Thompson SMG, or Deckard's gun being made from Bulldog revolver and Steyr .22 parts, but instead of adding features in geometry, the challenge is to do it in textures.
    The detailed industrial-tech models of the very late 70s / early 80s sci-fi have always held a really strong appeal, it should show in the final result.
    A near-realistic finish is the end goal, sitting around the CS:GO artstyle ideally.

All images property of their respective copyright holders.
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    Here is a test bake from a high(er) polygon detail mesh, only the barrel section is complete and the detail model is still under construction. 

• SjiZzZLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjiZzZLe polycounter lvl 2
  • Relic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can definitely see Deckard's Blaster influencing this. Now all you need is an amber grip ;)
  • Stalker8272
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    Here is a set of baked maps applied to the mesh as an in-workshop material, still looks 'flat' as it's only the base for what will be the proper texture, basic flat colouration is on just as an example. 

• Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    The next step is the heavy texturing, after editing some of the bake images to clean up artifacting and perceived errors. The grip design is still likely to change, the logo and layout are essentially placeholders at the moment.
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    An initial pass at grunge mapping has begun, to lift out some of the details and cement a sense of depth.
    No real detail texture work has started yet, but some heat discolouration at important points has been added.
    The grip hasn't yet been worked on to any real degree, neither have the sight sections.
    The high polygon mesh is in the background.
  • Ego_Death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ego_Death vertex
    Dude, this is starting to look really nice.
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    A look at the in-game (workbench) finish, still working out the metal texture details.
    The grip has had a potential effect thrown at it; will probably change it sooner rather than later.
    The Desert Eagle's ambient occlusion texture has both "MAGNUM RESEARGH" and the grip stippling embedded in it, the design will have to work around or accentuate them.
    Still a long way off, the intended visual effect hasn't been reached yet.
  • K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    I might need to swap my naga for this... :) Great work, looking forward to next steps.
  • n0de
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Waiting for this one! :)
  • dcneil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dcneil polygon
    amazing texture quality. Really caught that grudgy metal feel.
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex

More detail texturing done, edge scuffing picked out for specular highlighting , grip redesigned to allow for the existing stippling to remain in effect without trying to hide it, magazine painted in warning colours, will not be visible unless reloading or discarded. Sight reticle painted in same colour as magazine.
    Many things still subject to change, but everything is now underway.
    Thanks to all posters for the support, will post more tomorrow.
  • Abracadaniel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abracadaniel polycounter lvl 2
    How did you get the high poly model? Or what technique did you use to bake the high poly onto the low poly?
  • K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Mag works sick, waiting for grip upgrade. :D
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    How did you get the high poly model? Or what technique did you use to bake the high poly onto the low poly?
    Modelled the high(er) polygon model from the game asset .obj in Maya, then used xNormal to extract the maps.
    Some 3D programs interpret the obj format differently; sometimes the quads triangulate in the wrong direction, giving strange results to the texture placement, a fair amount of trial and error is involved in getting them looking right in the workbench - sometimes it has to look wrong in your programs for it to look right in game.
  • Abracadaniel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abracadaniel polycounter lvl 2
    Gaunt said:
    Modelled the high(er) polygon model from the game asset .obj in Maya, then used xNormal to extract the maps.
    Some 3D programs interpret the obj format differently; sometimes the quads triangulate in the wrong direction, giving strange results to the texture placement, a fair amount of trial and error is involved in getting them looking right in the workbench - sometimes it has to look wrong in your programs for it to look right in game.

Thanks man and good job!
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    An in-game test, checking and tweaking shader effects, getting there, still a fair few details needing corrections or proper attention.
    The overall look is more or less complete, as the weapon is intended to be Mil-spec (blue tier), having it highly detailed with bright attention grabbing colours would miss the mark.
    Instead, the cheaply-mass-manufactured-in-an-active-warzone look fits the bill nicely.
    Stamped metal parts, with virtually no finishing treatment and uncoloured raw injection-molded plastic for the ergonomics give the "tool of war" effect.
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    References used in the creation of this piece would be a combination of Alien (1979) industrial design, Bladerunner (1982) raw mass produced finish and Space: 1999 (1975) colour scheme and graphic design style.
    The references are more 'nods towards' rather than painstaking recreations of the styles; it is intended to have the feel of the era rather than a cluster of influences. As such, it looks as though flavours of Robocop (1987) and Terminator (1984) have resulted as well, that may just be the visual impression of a semi-futuristic handcannon.
    This style is a marked change from the usual output which is more 'illustrative', but the result seems to stand by itself.
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites polycounter lvl 8
    This looks awesome. I wonder if maybe a couple little faked glowy bits might help push the "sci-fi" side of it a little more? Also, maybe some color for the grip, like the Deckard's gun from Blade Runner?

• Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    RobStites said:
    This looks awesome. I wonder if maybe a couple little faked glowy bits might help push the "sci-fi" side of it a little more? Also, maybe some color for the grip, like the Deckard's gun from Blade Runner?
    Had initially run some colour over the grip, but felt it was better to keep the colour for the features, such as the magazine and sights, the grip colour and design is intended to evoke the interior of the Nostromo (Alien) and its ergonomic sections, such as the seats and benches. As for any glowing LEDs, the intent was to keep it 100% mechanical with no electronics, so it fits the cheap and not-totally-desirable Mil-spec tier; making it look too 'good' will push it up, potentially.
  • RobStites
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobStites polycounter lvl 8
    Gaunt said:
    RobStites said:
    Had initially run some colour over the grip, but felt it was better to keep the colour for the features, such as the magazine and sights, the grip colour and design is intended to evoke the interior of the Nostromo (Alien) and its ergonomic sections, such as the seats and benches. As for any glowing LEDs, the intent was to keep it 100% mechanical with no electronics, so it fits the cheap and not-totally-desirable Mil-spec tier; making it look too 'good' will push it up, potentially.
    You've definitely done a good job giving it that industrial feel. I wasn't thinking anything too flashy (ie not covered in LEDs like my entry), just a couple little lights like Deckard's gun or something to push the "sci-fi" theme to make you think,'Oh, this is a future gun.' Like there is something else going on inside even if it's just a subtle touch. In your last screenshot I feel like the stat-trak kinda does this, it would be cool if there was something like that in the non-stat-trak version.
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    RobStites said:
    You've definitely done a good job giving it that industrial feel. I wasn't thinking anything too flashy (ie not covered in LEDs like my entry), just a couple little lights like Deckard's gun or something to push the "sci-fi" theme to make you think,'Oh, this is a future gun.' Like there is something else going on inside even if it's just a subtle touch. In your last screenshot I feel like the stat-trak kinda does this, it would be cool if there was something like that in the non-stat-trak version.
    Will definitely look into it as work continues; really appreciate the input.
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    Small fixes and tuning to the shaders, approaching final finish, added an orange micro-LED next to the StatTrak™ counter just above the trigger guard, thanks @RobStites, tested in most lighting conditions through various maps, the overall effect does not appear to 'break' noticeably in any.
    The featured test map is Keystone by lexxor.
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    In-game lighting test in various maps in gif form. The skin looks far better in motion, as it uses the specular exponent mapping to good effect.
    All the bright colours are saved for the important sections, the sights and the magazine at reload; it appears to fit the brief for Mil-spec, as in going to have streamers shouting obscenities at the screen if it ticks over one.

• Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    Texturing process examples through to final result, nearly everything bar the bakes, text and logos are handpainted.
    Intended goal of a muted realistic-yet-retrofuturistic finish met.
    Will upload in the next few days, unless a reader strongly feels a fix or edit is necessary.

• RavN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RavN polycounter lvl 2
    Hi Gaunt! I think, u'd change "Опасность" to "Опасно" in magazine. It would be more correctly)
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    RavN said:
    Hi Gaunt! I think, u'd change "Опасность" to "Опасно" in magazine. It would be more correctly)
    Thanks! Was wondering about that, will fix it immediately.
  • Ego_Death
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ego_Death vertex
    That is fantastic, having the mag be an accent like that is awesome. Super solid work as always!
  • lanvinpierre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    how did u use it in game for the in/game lighting?
  • WatizZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WatizZ null
    Great work and presentantion Gaunt ! ;)
  • K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    That's sick, the texture is so nice I would hug it if it weren't just pixels.
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex
    how did u use it in game for the in/game lighting?
    You'll find this guide by Crille is very helpful.
  • SLIMEface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SLIMEface polycounter lvl 7
    Great stuff gaunt!
  • BUCK3T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BUCK3T null
    I really like the design! The magazine looks awesome.
    I think you could improve the handle though. Maybe change the handles' texture and the circle in the centre.
    Anyway really nice skin. Good luck in the contest!
  • Madzia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Madzia polycounter lvl 8
    looks great! awesome design
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex

The promo image for the Steam Workshop page, the Void Hawk is about to be sent on mission.
    BUCK3T said:
    I think you could improve the handle though. Maybe change the handles' texture and the circle in the centre.

Had looked at editing the handle grip texture, but elected to keep the off white with contoured piping, as it is important to keep the retro science fiction aesthetic; check the reference/influence image further up the thread to see where the furniture's appearance developed from.
    The stippling effect and part of the IMI logo is baked into the grip's uneditable ambient occlusion texture, went with accentuation and emphasis rather than trying to obfuscate or otherwise hide it.
  • K_A_S_I
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    K_A_S_I triangle
    Sometimes I am happy I am not Valve... Chosing between those deagles is going to be a hard dillema. :) Great work!
  • Endritv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Endritv polygon
    K_A_S_I said:
    Sometimes I am happy I am not Valve... Chosing between those deagles is going to be a hard dillema. :) Great work!
    If they are going to chose a deagle for starters! They still other guns to decide from! hahha
    Gaunt that's looking really nice man!
  • Gaunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gaunt vertex

VOID HAWK on STEAM WORKSHOP

Submission / Upload Section:

Workbench Image (cropped):

Reference Image:

Texture Image:

Link (Plain text):
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686213801