Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Art Test.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Haytch polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys! I've not been here in a while, I'm working for a Studio in Spain now, I was approached by another company I applied for a while ago and I'm doing an Art test at the moment.... I could really Use some Critique... 
First of all. thanks in advance. second... the dentist chair I did I feel that it may be a bit 'blocky' however, I've never done furniture before so it's litterally out of my comfort zone.
and also I'm not sure what kind of poly count is reasonable for such items, the dentist chair final piece is 8K poly, I could probably get it down but I've probably used the most obvious technique and deleted all edges for the chair and used normal mapping and height maps for it. The same with the light, Not to sure about it, I feel it's good but It could be better, the engine is not the best render for this because of dynamic TOD and light source manouvering with total Illum and some other bits.

I'm blabering on now, The images are PNG sorry It's late otherwise I'd try re-save them all as JPEG.

so this is the scene that I was given to make, I was told to focus on the chair and the light more than the room and other props

and this is what I have so far, Straight off the bat THE GLASS WON'T BLOODY FOG like in this picture, Not sure how to fake it. Secondly, I added some bricks to the floor etc to try fill out the scene a bit more, The door I didn't really even bother with as you can see. Although the chair looks blocky it does slightly match, But I Can't seem to get the aspects to match up. is this a big issue?

so Here's a Marmoset Render of the chair.

Low poly on the Left - High poly on the Right.

Here's a Wire.

Dentist Light, Again Low poly left, High poly Right.

Wire.

A Quick Render of the Trolley

so what do you guys think?

Replies

• BeardedMike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardedMike polycounter lvl 7
    Can't do a paintover right now but the chair looks a bit too far back and maybe a bit too small.  Look at the placement of the chair base in relation to the cart in the reference image.
  • Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    Right now I'm having a bit of a hard time gauging the scale of the scene. Either the scene is way too big, or the chair too small. Although it might have to do with the fact that you're using a very wide FOV. You've got some cool materials, I like the wall tiles.
    I'd add a few more edge loops on the mirror, those jagged edges caught my eye before anything else. 
    The overall composition of the original photo is nice, the the chair being the focal point. Right now in your scene I feel like my eyes wander around unable to rest on anything.

Keep it up, you're on a good start.
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
    I mean, you're way better than me, but your proportion looks off on the room. Your room is quite a bit longer than the reference. I think that's what creates the scale issue the guy above me is seeing. Fix that then worry about the glass!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I would definitely adjust scale and camera location.  Get in tighter and create more perspective...perhaps fisheye the lens a tad bit.  The clutter on the floor is also too evenly spaced.  Leaves look large as well...scale those randomly and create some crumbled crinkled ones as well.  Do an overall scale pass like people have suggested to get assets scaled appropriately to each other as they are in the photo.  Solid stuff but with further tweaks, it will be much better!
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    I really suggest overlaying your screenshot and your reference photo in Photoshop to get accurate scale fixes.

I just did it and your room is not far off from your reference so bravo on that but it's definitely because your camera is too far back. After overlaying the images you can tell your chair has some issues with proportions/positioning in accordance to the reference you have.

I also want to address that if they told you to focus primarily on the chair, I suggest you really go to town on the detail, comparing your current one to the reference really shows you didn't spend enough time on the finer details. There are all these little parts that you've completely missed out/avoided which will appear very apparent to your assessor.

The room is fine for now, it's there... now pay more attention to the chair.

Also, if they're looking for high quality art... I'd go with a few more subdivisions on that flexible light stand.

The best advice I can give on objects you can't decipher from the one view you're given is to improvise with whatever you can find that matches similarity in functionality.

Best of luck on this, you have a good start (Y)
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Can't really add anything of use on this one, but like the others said, try to match the proportions of the scene more to the concept.

Try to add more detail to the different meshes you currently have adding bits to the chair mechanics you have missed and so fort.
    Attention to detail is what's really gonna sell this scene.

Good luck with adding in all the awesome feedback of the people above me,
    and good luck with the scene!