Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student portfolio

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
anathen polycounter lvl 8
Hey everyone!
I'm a third year student making my first online portfolio and would love some advices and critics :)
Since I'm studying in Tokyo some of the text is in Japanese but the rest is mostly english.
Thanks!

http://nicolasswijngedau.wix.com/portfolio

Replies

• Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    So you definitely have some cool looking pieces. My two big concerns is that the anatomy looks a little bit off on the face of your human character (though my own anatomy knowledge isn't strong enough to pinpoint exactly where the problem is), and pretty much all of your materials look really flat. Give your spec/roughness maps some more love.

It's also probably a good idea to include at least one female character in a character art portfolio.
  • Thessera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thessera vertex
    Some general tips for portfolio:
    1. Adding your characters into a scene, makes your works looks much more finish.
    2. Variation, in both style and models.
    Improvements you can do on your existing characters:
    - More Shap Details.
    - Variation in your textur: More "drit" and imperfections in the textur.
    - Don't be afraid to use more colours.
    - Use specular/Light and roughness maps, it will improve your models greatly.
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury said:
    I think a better lighting would be needed as your renders feel dull and thus your characters can't reach their full potential. The axe that your last character is wielding looks rushed. Not a big fan of the harsh noise in the japanese alley render. Try to include wireframes and texture breakdowns as well. And you could merge the skills and about sections together.
  • Amaury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for merging my post here. Here's a great character lighting guide by Marmoset by the way : http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/character-lighting
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally aggree on the lighting and textures, I'm not quite there yet..I'll start practicing it more!
    As for variety I'm planning to start making a female character and some scifi character as well, right know it's a little too much of the same style.
    For the character's face anatomy being off I'm not quite sure what's wrong with it so if someone could point it out that'b great!
    The japanese alley render was supposed to have an old horror movie feel to it and I thought the noise would push the style in that direction.I might have gone too hard on this one :p
    I have to learn to present my character better overall yeah..wireframes and texture breakdown will be added!
    Great advices, Thanks!

• anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tutorial! I haven't used marmoset yet but I definitely should.
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have worked on a female android bust for the last weeks in order to put a little more variety in the portfolio! I would love some critics or ways too make the final image better! 
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    This new droid bust is exactly the direction you should be heading. I opened your site and nothing really popped out. Everything is gray. Which is one of my favorite colors, but not for a portfolio. Felt dull. More color, more unique characters, and clearer more high res renders like this one. And in general, better presentation of your characters. You got skills, so show them off like your art is the greatest of all time.
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the advice! 
    Glad to hear the droid is a good addition to my works! I agree that I should really improve my presentation skills. 
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    The new  female android looks pretty rad there ! Good job on this one. It's totally an eye catcher.
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the compliments! Really appreciate it :)
  • ElectricEchoes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElectricEchoes polycounter lvl 6
    Your latest work is a MASSIVE step in the right direction, real quality to it! If you can, work on getting your other pieces into Toolbag 2. And as you've acknowledged already, work on the presentation.
  • apllana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    apllana polycounter lvl 8
    The bust is definitely a great improvement. Making use of PBR textures and a powerful presentation is the way to go. Keep it up!
  • anathen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot guys! I'll try to get my other works up to date then! glad to know I'm going in the right direction!