Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PPSH41

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
tommy39 polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, first time posting here, Looking for some crits on my work.

I made this PPSH 41 for Faces Of War (ArmA 3), I am planning to make a couple texture versions of this (Clean, Worn, Rusted) as with A3 its possible to just change the texture of the weapons. Also planning to make the stick version of the magazine 
Tris: 9120
Verts: 4852
2048 used for the weapon
1024 used for the drum (could be brought down to 512 I believe) 
This one would be the cleaner version 

Replies

• Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    the model looks good but I think your presentation could use some work. The TOMMY_MC and the little wolf drawing makes it look unprofessional. I think you should make the logos smaller and give more space to your work.
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DweenieTodd polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah i agree with @Doxturtle the presentation feels quite flat. The logo and little wolf drawing makes it unprofessional. Either remove the wolf drawing, or just make it smaller to give your work some more room. If you've rendered in Marmoset, try a few different lighting types.

Onto the model. I quite like the model itself. I'm keen to make the PPSH41 in the future, did you find any difficulties in creating the piece? Some critique however:

- The end of the stock is made of wood on your model. However, typically they would have like a gun metal, or maybe even rubber finished at the end? I've attached a reference below, with an arrow indicating what i mean:

- If you also take a look at the drum on the reference, there's a clip piece in the middle of the drum, which doesn't appear on yours. However, as your gun is purposed for Arma 3, i don't think this is a great issue. If you want correct representation of the gun, i think you should add this though ;)

- On the gun, you're missing a few rivets and bolts. I've again attached a reference, indicating were i mean:

This would just be normal projection detail, taking up no polycount. This is entirely up to you if you go back and add, but again it's if you want correct representation of the gun ;)

- Finally, for me personally, i don't feel the wood color atm. Maybe the lighting in your renders doesn't help, but maybe darken the wood down? Perhaps give it a touch of dark red/brown to get a better feel? This is purely my opinion, and it's entirely up to you if you change this :)

Overall nice model. I'm interested to see the variations. 
  • tommy39
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Doxturtle Thanks man, wasn't sure myself whether I wanted it in or not, im gonna remove my own and make the fow icon smaller
    @DweenieTodd I'm actually suprised the drum reference I was using didn't have this but from what i just googled the one you posted seems to be accurate so im definetly gonna add that clip as I have the UV space for it and the tris to spare over. As for the screw the reason I didn't add it is because it was more common for them not to have it but the ppsh was kind of unique to the extent there was many unofficial variants (as in different versions seem to have screws in different parts) made as our historical researcher put it "they were put together just to work". As I was making it for college deadline and I'm going back over it now that it's passed I noticed I missed this detail too on the left side of the buttstock. 

As for the modelling of it I found most of it ok the only problem I had was with the barrel shroud, for the high poly getting it to look right without any artifacting was a problem for me, but that could just from lack of experience. 

The lighting I think has a major effect on the wood too cause it looked a lot different when I rendered it in I Ray :D, gonna see how it looks in A3 before i start playing with the wood tho 
  • DweenieTodd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DweenieTodd polycounter lvl 3
    I see. Yeah they're so many unofficial versions of guns, it's easier to find references for knock offs, if you can call them that. 

Yeah do try and get some better renders, and make that wood pop a little more ;)

I do plan on making the PPSH in the future. I've modelled an AKM (completely overdone now) a smith & wesson Model 19 Revolver, a Mossberg M590A1 with several attachments, and a Cheytac M200 Intervention. I am interested in the challenges the PPSH would pose.

Anyway keep up the good work man :)
  • tommy39
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didn't have access to a good pc for a while so was only able to wrap this up recently