Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand painted texture crit

whitztigerz
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
whitztigerz polycounter lvl 2
Hey everyone I'm trying to learn different types of materials to hand paint. So far I have been trying to practice wood and stone. Crits would be appreciated! For my style I'm trying to go for the blizzard hand painted styles.

Replies

• beccatherose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beccatherose ngon master
    Heya- this is a great start! It always puts a smile on my face to see other artists working to get into the hand-painted style. :) Something to think about when referring to Blizzard's style is figuring out exactly which game you really love the aesthetic of- Diablo has different features that WoW has different features from HotS. If you really dig WoW, I've actually got a small Pinterest board of references to check out. When looking at references like this, think about a few different key attributes: value, hue, and scale. Obviously there's more to it than just that, but if you compare your stone texture to a screengrab like this: 

you can see differences in how large the stones are and how their values are a bit closer. WoW tends to keep their values within about a 30-40% range, saving the darkest darks and the lightest lights for only about 10% of the texture- closer to what you're doing in the wood practice. Try pulling from screenshots and references if you're working towards a specific style, learn those rules, and then practice breaking them to make it better! Keep painting, and best of luck! :)