Home Technical Talk

[Maya] Straighten UV Tool - vote for it if you want one!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Treidge polycounter lvl 11
Hey,

Looking at the number of new brush-based UV editing tools in latest Maya releases it is clear that Maya devs like such tools pretty much. I thought that this is a good time to ask them nicely for a long-wished Straighten UV functionality for Maya, which is [in my view] also a great candidate for a brush-based tool — the Straighten UV Brush Tool!  :p
I've made a quick mockup to demonstrate how such tool could be like — see the GIF picture just below.

If you don't know what the Straighten UV is and it isn't clear from the image above — it is a very handy and highly-demanded feature for a hard-surface UV mapping workflow that allows you to select some UVs and quickly align them to their average U, V or UV based on the angular threshold parameter. Basically, straightening allows you to remove slight curvatures and deviations from the straight vertical and horizontal lines that Unfold operations don't handle. This results in cleaner UV shells, less pixel aliasing on textures, better normal maps, higher overall texel density and generally better texturing results.

So, I've posted this GIF along with some considerations as a suggestion for Maya at mayafeedback.autodesk.com and highly encourage everyone who would like to see this feature in Maya to come and cast their voices to support this suggestion here (both links are the same):

http://mayafeedback.autodesk.com/forums/160514-ideas-for-maya-forum/suggestions/13580247-straighten-uv-brush-tool-for-uv-editor

or

http://goo.gl/f2gCGy

An Autodesk account is needed to submit your votes. If you don't have one, it's quite easy to sign-up (just follow the instructions).

I believe that this tool fits nicely with the direction of Maya development, so we actually have a chance of getting it. However, we need to show the demand for it, meaning that the more votes on this suggestion we will get — the more likely Maya devs would be able to actually work on it.

So, vote, share and comment on suggestion's page, ladies and gentlemans!

Replies