Home Career & Education

College Decision

Intrepideagle
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Intrepideagle polycounter lvl 2
I have to decide which college i will attend next year for game design. I would like to go into 3D modelling and/or concept art. I have a decision between Centennial college and Sheridan college. Centennial is a 2 year program that is focused on 3D modelling and concept art. Sheridan is a 4 year general course on game design. I would appreciate some advice if anyone has knowledge on this topic.

Centennial
http://www.centennialcollege.ca/programs-courses/full-time/game-art-and-design/
Sheridan
https://academics.sheridancollege.ca/programs/bachelor-of-game-design 

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    If it's between the two, Centennial for sure. The courses there seem much more focused on only the skills you will need as an artist. It looks like they have drawing, basic color theory, lighting, modelling, etc. It does seem to have a few too many courses during a semester with very limited lab time. Also I'd worry that the game design course and English course in the first semester may eat up too much of your time. I feel that two semesters of writing may be a little overkill. In my experience so far, the ability to write documentation for co-workers, writing a good email, writing a cover-letter, etc, are all that are really needed for a career in the games industry. 

Sheridan's course seems like it doesn't know what it wants to be. It's half game design and half art, which definitely is a red flag in my opinion since the two fields could not be farther apart in the professional world. 

I'm not sure if I could recommend either though. If I could do my college experience over again it would have to be a hyper-focused school (Gnomon, etc) where you pick exactly what you want to do and pour all of your time into that. 

Any class that you pay $$$$ for and does not further you as an artist (and eventually get you into a studio position) is a waste of money (unless you really enjoy it) and potentially eats away time that you could spend on portfolio work. 
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Forget about school man.  B)
    If I were you (I'm assuming you live in Ontario) I'd try to get into Ubisoft Toronto as an Apprentice.  For people who already have a degree from anywhere in the world, there's also a paid graduate program at Ubi TO.
    http://toronto.ubisoft.com/students/

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    The decision to go to school will negatively effect the rest of my life due to debt. Don't think school is required for a job or worth it
  • technokill
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neither if you want concept art. In that case Id recommend you to check out Syn Studio. Their teachers and connections are miles ahead of centennial college.

regarding Sheridan I agree with the above. They lack focus and you have to waste time studying other non-art related crap.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    The ubiTO apprentice thing only accepts recent grads from an Ontario school. "NOTE: To be eligible to make a submission to Ubisoft Toronto NXT Showcase, you must reside in Ontario, and currently attend OR have graduated from an Ontario post-secondary school no later than Spring 2014. " <--- straight from the contest PDF. The NXT competition, which is just finishing up right now. 

Im curious, did you only get into those two, or did you not apply to george brown or seneca. Those two have been producing some stellar grads for modelling. Same with Durham College, just outside of Toronto. 

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    By the way I just want to quickly add that a bad college is usually never worth it to attend. However, a stellar hyper-focused school can introduce you to great professors and other focused classmates who can help you grow as an artist very fast. 

I disagree that college/schooling is never worth it. It's just the list of colleges that are really worth it are very small. A non-traditional college/education in arts can be a better option to save money and learn a lot.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius said:
    The ubiTO apprentice thing only accepts recent grads from an Ontario school.
    Lots of 2015 winners were still students and didn't graduate til this year (check their linkedin  profiles).  Surprisingly even a Max the Mutt student got in and now a permanent on-staff Ubi concept artist.  If you know that school's less than stellar reputation....you'd probably also come to the conclussion that you don't necessarily have to go to a Fancy Zchool of Design or take a multi year program to get a shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7U0uEEQIME
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Sorry, yes, Recent grads or current students. I missed the current students part, which was in the quoted text. A couple of the top 10 last year were still in school. One of them got the apprenticeship, went back to school and will be returning next week for a full time position. The other 2 (we gave the top 3 apprenticeships because they were so good) have been working here ever since.

Either way, It's a student competition, so not going to school at all, it's not an option if you want to enter the competition. That said, there's nothing stopping you from getting a job here without school. But, with this competition running, they do filter through that contest first when hiring juniors. The contestants get first dibs, if you will. As long as you`re in school of some sort, you can join. But why choose a less than stellar school if you have the option of a stellar school? 

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius said:
     That said, there's nothing stopping you from getting a job here without school. 
    I can agree with that...especially when Ubi TO (according to one director) is planning to ramp up to an 800 sized staff by 2020....and they're preferring local. (last year's employee count = 350)

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Ya, it's part of the tax incentive's they got from the government. 800 jobs by 2020. A high percentage has to be Ontario folk. Full time employees. Not contract, I believe, though I could be mistaken. 

• Intrepideagle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've also been accepted to Durham, and Fanshawe, and am still under consideration for George Brown. I disregarded these previously as i thought that Sheridan and Centennial were better.
  • Intrepideagle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also my parents wont trust me to make it without going to a school, so as of now i don't have the option of not attending a school.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Also my parents wont trust me to make it without going to a school, so as of now i don't have the option of not attending a school.
    So I assume they're paying for it?
  • Intrepideagle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They will be helping me pay but it will be mostly me
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Sheridan better for animation. George brown is better than centennial for modelling. 
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I should mention, none of the schools are BAD. You`ll only get out of them what you put in. If you go in doing the bare minimum, you wont have the portfolio to get a job. If you go in and give it your all, dont procrastinate and really focus on learning all you can, both in school and on the net, you`ll do well. The ones that make it far are the ones who go beyond what the schools teach. The schools mostly teach the tools. It's up to you to push your art.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    slipsius said:
    I should mention, none of the schools are BAD. You`ll only get out of them what you put in. If you go in doing the bare minimum, you wont have the portfolio to get a job. If you go in and give it your all, dont procrastinate and really focus on learning all you can, both in school and on the net, you`ll do well. The ones that make it far are the ones who go beyond what the schools teach. The schools mostly teach the tools. It's up to you to push your art.
    This.  I know developers that have gone to not-so-great/"bad" schools, and after graduation, immediately started working at Blizzard (or even before graduating).  They are now mid and senior level artists, core team members on their respective projects.  I also know a couple people that have gone to one of the most revered art schools in the US and/or the world, and left with 250k in debt and no hope for a job in their field.  It's 100% what you make of your schooling and time spent working on your craft before/after class.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Toronto Reference Library has 4 Zbrush stations.  Can reserve up to 2 hours per day. Just need a library card.

http://torontopubliclibrary.typepad.com/digital_design_studio/2016/03/new-software-at-the-digital-innovation-hub-toronto-reference-library.html

Just sayin  ;)

• Intrepideagle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you everyone for all the help, this helped a lot with me decision, this community is great! I will be sure to look at the Zbrush station at the library. I hope I'll be able to talk to you guys again when i have some good work to put forward.  :)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Thank you everyone for all the help, this helped a lot with me decision, this community is great! I will be sure to look at the Zbrush station at the library. I hope I'll be able to talk to you guys again when i have some good work to put forward.  :)
    So what'd ya pick? haha
  • Intrepideagle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius said:
    So what'd ya pick? haha
    well based on my understanding from what everyone said, for what im looking for the schools rank as such;
    1. George Brown
    2. Centennial
    3. Durham
    5. Sheridan
    4. Fanshawe

And if i am correct i would choose George Brown if i get accepted, and Centennial if i do not.
  • CalebJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CalebJ null
    "And if i am correct i would choose George Brown if i get accepted, and Centennial if i do not."   And what was your decision and what are you thinking now about this situation?
  • CalebJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CalebJ null
    What school you choose, and your advise for now for people who were in same position as yours 1,5 years ago? Please. :)