Home Adobe Substance

Baking Maps in Substance Painter 2

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Dmellott greentooth
Hey everyone. I put together a short 5 minute video on baking maps in Painter 2 (also works in 1 of course). The workflow is incredibly simple and gives you a great result. Feel free to drop me a line of feedback or ask any questions! Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEixVr6elpw&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
    I'm wondering what has changed or if it's the version of Substance Painter, because I have difficulty utilizing "match by name" when baking. I've made sure that the parts' names matched and the suffix were correct when exported the meshes from Maya. For some reason when I try to bake using this method, I do not get any results. However, when I select match "always," the high poly mesh bakes to the low poly mesh (but with projection issues). If you can help me out with this, that'd be great. I'm a Mac user, so I'm wondering if it is just the version that I'm using. I did not have this problem when working with Substance Painter 1.0 on the Mac. 
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Hmmmm..that's odd that it works in Painter 1, but doesn't work in Painter 2. I also get project errors when i set to Always, I assume because it's generating it's own cage or something to that effect. This might be a question that is better suited to the Allegorithmic guys, especially because it works in 1 but not in 2. I'd consider posting in the Official Forums, as well as the Tech Talk Substance Painter thread here on Polycount.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Matching is working for me on 2.x and nothing should have changed in the code related to the matching between 1.x and 2.0. Would you be able to share your meshes (via PM)?
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah sure thing! 
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there any way I can attach the meshes? I've attempted to send you a PM, but for some reason I am unable to attach anything along with the message.
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apparently I can bake using fbx files, but it doesn't work with obj files.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I'm new to Painter but am hoping it will get a few more organizational features when it comes to baking, like the recent handplane's projection groups. It'd be great to have presets where certain parts of a mesh can be hidden, like if your AO bake differs from your normal bake, etc. I'm having that issue now cause of moving parts.
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Fuiosg said:
    I'm new to Painter but am hoping it will get a few more organizational features when it comes to baking, like the recent handplane's projection groups. It'd be great to have presets where certain parts of a mesh can be hidden, like if your AO bake differs from your normal bake, etc. I'm having that issue now cause of moving parts.
    You can separate your mesh in to Texture Sets by applying a different Material ID to whichever parts you would like to isolate when in Painter. You can still export the mesh as one .fbx but when you bring the mesh in to Painter it will detect the individual Mat ID's and you will be able to hide and bake specific pieces that way!
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Interesting, but does that prevent projection? I tried importing a mesh this morning with different materials, and it just seems to hide those parts on the texture instead of hiding them while baking.
  • Dmellott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dmellott greentooth
    Texture Sets have their own independently functioning Input maps (Normal / AO / Curvature / etc.) You can bake respective Texture Sets and it should not effect anything outside of that specific Texture Set. Just make sure you are baking By Mesh Name and you may need to adjust Max and Rear Frontal Distance.