Home Adobe Substance

Normal mixing?

So there's this normal mixing menu under the TextureSet now which is causing me some problems.

Using normal mixing -> Combine gives me the result I want on my viewport.

But when I export out the map, i get results similar to normal mixing -> Replace

I've exported using the PBR presets and document channels but none of them give me the result that is what I got from the substance painter viewport. I am now fairly confused since this wasn't a problem I had last time.

I am importing it into marmoset. I'll take some pictures after I finish baking again. Though I doubt it's a baking problem.

Edit:
Here's what I get in substance painter

here's what I got after exporting the maps. I have also tried flipping the map in every possible combination but none of them seem to work

here's one with the normal mixing on replace

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    What export preset are you using ?
  • Accany
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have pretty much used everything now, I exported all the available normal maps I know of as RGB. Which is normal mesh map, Normal OpenGL, Normal DirectX, Normal input map.  Pretty much all of them. The closest one would be normal Direct X, which really should be what the export is. Also flipped Y for the map.

However there are still a huge number of discrepancies between my export and what I got in marmoset.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    In the mesh options in Toolbag, did you try the different Tangent space options?
  • Accany
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, didn't work though. Is it because I'm exporting as png? I did try some other formats but nothing really changed.

I have solved it however by baking it somewhere else using object space maps. However I have not managed to solve it using painter alone.
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Your mesh triangulation in marmoset is different to that in tb2 - you need the triangulation to match what the normal map was baked against. So triangulate before you bake and keep that triangulation the same.
  • Accany
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek said:
    Your mesh triangulation in marmoset is different to that in tb2 - you need the triangulation to match what the normal map was baked against. So triangulate before you bake and keep that triangulation the same.
    Ah that makes sense. I'll take a shot at it.