Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Sci-fi Rifle

null
Offline / Send Message
Alexsec null
Hello guys.

The last couple days I've been working on a sci-fi Rifle. Here are some rought renders I took.

This evening/tomorrow I'll be working on the uv's. I'll texture the weapon using Substance Painter as soon as I can.

This rifle is based on a concept by Kris Thaler, here is his Artstation portfolio: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/B1Zxz

I'm a student so any feedback is really appreciated. 

I'll update this post as soon as I have the uv's.

Thank you.

Replies

• Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Before I would move to the UV-work I would do the high poly. Sometimes you get a new view on some areas while doing the high poly and have to change the low poly based on this, then some of your UV work is wasted.
  • Alexsec
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexsec null
    Hey guys, a little update.

After doing the high poly as @Dethling mentioned and baking some maps(AO, Curvature, Position and Thickness) I started texturing the weapon un Substance Painter. 

Here are a couple of renders with some basic materials, now is time to add the details. What do you guys think of these materials and the work so far?

• Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Can we get a look at the high poly version? your edges are looking very sharp.

For the color sheme I would balance the colors a little more (some lighter parts in the front, some darker at the back).
    Also try to look at the model like in the real world:
    - Which parts are seperate? seperate parts often means different materials
    - What's the purpose of the part? purpose often define the material (metal for moveable parts, plastic for casings, leather/cloth for shock pads etc.)
    - Which parts are painted? make it sense that they are painted?

For me one thing which makes textures intressting are to see how materials work next to each other. Also maybe be a little more bold with the colors. Pick one or two "highlight" colors and use it for small details. Most times this makes a weapon more intressting then the usual "black gun metal + black plastic" :D

• Alexsec
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexsec null
    Dethling said:
    Can we get a look at the high poly version? your edges are looking very sharp.

For the color sheme I would balance the colors a little more (some lighter parts in the front, some darker at the back).
    Also try to look at the model like in the real world:
    - Which parts are seperate? seperate parts often means different materials
    - What's the purpose of the part? purpose often define the material (metal for moveable parts, plastic for casings, leather/cloth for shock pads etc.)
    - Which parts are painted? make it sense that they are painted?

For me one thing which makes textures intressting are to see how materials work next to each other. Also maybe be a little more bold with the colors. Pick one or two "highlight" colors and use it for small details. Most times this makes a weapon more intressting then the usual "black gun metal + black plastic" :D

Yeah you are right, I'll work a little bit more with the object so I can make the edges a little less sharp.

As for the materials I'm working with the concept and it uses dark colors on the front and some brighter colors in the back. I'll try to make the materials a little bit brighter, the red material has to be more "powerful". All the materials need to be a lot more metallic than it seems right now.

Those images are like a sketch, there is a lot of work left to do. This is just the beginning.

Thank you for the feedback thought, I'll take it in consideration as soon as I work more on it.

Thank you!
  • Alexsec
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexsec null
    Here is a little update.
    I changed a lot of the materials(color, metallicity...) I also added some details with some alphas and a laser with an emissive just to try how it looks. And I also changed the geometry a little to make it looks less sharp. What do you guys think? 

• Alexsec
    Offline / Send Message
    Alexsec null
    I added some details and changed little details of the geometry and it's finally done. I'm pretty happy with the result and I learned a lot in the process which is really important for a student like me.

Hope you guys like it. 

Artstation: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/DNm1A