Home Technical Talk

3ds Max unit setup, why would I need a space?

LouisClegg
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
LouisClegg polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys, I'm working on something for a job application in 3ds Max and I've been asked to work in specific units. These are as follows:

Customize > Units Setup > Display Unit Scale = Custom “ cm” = 0.1 inches (note the space before “cm”)

What I'm wondering is why that space is necessary? When I include it Max gives me constant error sounds when using chamfer, extrude or similar features, and the numerical settings in these features are constantly being reset. I've written to the person who sent me the brief to ask if the space is 100% required, but I was hoping somebody on here could help me so I can get back to work!

Thanks,

Louis

Replies

• musashidan
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    That sounds like roundoff errors. What sort of weird setup is that: cm=0.1 inches? The fractional conversion is probably causing the error beeps. Maybe whoever decided on the unit setup just made a mistake and gave you the wrong info.

• monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    What version of Max? What OS? It works fine for me.

Honestly though, Display Unit Scale has no affect on your scene. They are just that, display units. Just use "cm" if you don't get errors.
  • LouisClegg
    Offline / Send Message
    LouisClegg polycounter lvl 2
    Max 2016 on Win 10. I'm getting all sorts of bugs/errors I don't get on my personal project (a 3D environment). My last issue was with copy pasting coordinates. When I selected a face / verts and copy the coords, after deselecting the numerical input box the faces jump across to random coordinates. This also occurs when working with length / width / height inputs in the parameters after creating shapes. The pasting of coordinates issue is preventing me from accurately lining up objects. Such a shame, and it seems to be exclusive to using this unit setup, without the space. I don't really understand units too well (though I didn't think there was much to "get"). Anyway I've been permitted to remove the " cm" altogether which seems to fix my issues. So I'm not really sure why I'm writing this :P