Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4 -> UE5] Alleyway Scene

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
ILYHugh polycounter lvl 9
Hey Guys,

Here is my latest project. Rendered in Unreal Engine 4.10, all assets were modeled in Maya and textured using the the Quixel Suite. Some additional materials were created with Substance Designer. This was one of my most complicated scenes due to the complexity of the lighting as well as amount of assets within the scene. 

Here was an initial screenshot of the blockout:

Most of my work was done during Twitch streams. Most of which was assets creation. I aimed to model, UV, texture and render out assets in under 2 hours, it was a small rule/ limitation I set for myself that I used to do when I was still in college. Here are some screenshots of the assets I used:

When it came to lighting I created prefab Blueprints for the Lighting fixtures as well as used IES Profiles to shape the lights. That combined with some small rendering techniques I had researched from the works of Koola, this was my result:

After about two weeks of working on this in my free time, I'm happy with the results of the project and would love to come back to it in the future if I ever want to base a Game Level on it. 

P.S. Is that a GreenTooth I see???

P.P.S. This is my first GreenTooth Easter Egg!

Replies

• purplekami
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    I love all the love you've put in the details, it's a shame the scene is so dark you can't see most of it! Consider adding some bounce to those lights and perhaps making the ambient lighting just a little stronger so we can see more!
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Coming along nicely :) I'd watch out for the overlay of decals with the ripped off posters/graffiti... the poster decals are looking like they're actually transparent pieces of paper or plastic sheets. I'm guessing the graffiti decal is conflicting with it so maybe think of a way around it? maybe a single transparent floating polygon above the wall to map your paper decal onto, not quite sure how people would usually do it but that's one way I could think of fixing it haha.

In this area btw.

• ILYHugh
    Offline / Send Message
    Dust, Dust, Dust.  I haven't posted in this Thread in over 5 years. I want to go back re-design my old Alleyway scene. I made this scene just out of College with no real Knowledge or Experience in the Industry. Well now I want to go back in and Put some of my knowledge and skills to use.

I hope to make this scene shine!

• ILYHugh
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Guys,

Here is a small update, Went back in and started to Retexture some of the Old Assets, Cleaning up bad Geo, Really bad UVs and set up a pretty good High poly Bake.

Also I'm Blocking out a more realistic Neon Sign to replace to old sign. The Bricks were created using the "Adobe" Substance Sampler (RIP Alchemist) program. Instead of recreating the Wheel with a Substance Graph, I went and tried out Brick Generator from some Ceramic material on the Adobe SBSAR Library. Same for the Painted Brick except I used Painted Stucco blends with a Paint over Filter in the Stack. 

Next I went in and created some new Concrete Trim and Slab mesh as well as created a World Position material to add a Dirt seam on the edge of the Brick Material that connects with the Concrete Trim.

Finally I changed up the Color Palette of the Light to a more Orange and Green/Teal Color scheme. Going to keep on converting Assets over from the old Quixel Painted textures, to newer Substance Painted textures. Also add more realistic assets like a New more Ornate Security Gate and some Rain Drains as well as new Pipe Set.

Cheers!