Home Technical Talk

How to make modeling in Maya more similar to Blender

annah847
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
annah847 polycounter lvl 2
Hello everyone,
So this is an odd question, but I would appreciate it if you could please help me out. I am a student studying visual effects, and I love 3d modeling, however, I initially learned modeling in Blender, and while I have become some what used to modeling in Maya, I still find it easier and faster to model in Blender. I know Maya is the industry standard, so I wanted to know if there was a way to make modeling in Maya more similar to Blender, in terms of shortcuts, navigation e.t.c. 

Thank you.

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i recommend to first learn how maya works... its often the case that you miss important features if you start to mimic your own workflow in a new programm... first learn the maya way then start to customize it...
  • allengingrich
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allengingrich polycounter lvl 2
    I was like you, but I enjoy Maya much better now. If you want to work more like Blender, I recommend Max. It uses modifiers like Blender. Personally, once I trained myself away from that workflow, I've never looked back.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Window > Settings/Preferences > Hotkey Editor (I think that was the path...been a few years). You can change the hotkeys there if you want, though most Maya artists use the marking menus primarily instead of regular hotkeys.

For move/scale/rotate you'll find that Blenders system is extremely unique, and there's no built-in way to mimic it in other apps. You could ask around see if anyone is interested in developing a plugin for it, but I doubt you'll have much luck.
  • annah847
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    annah847 polycounter lvl 2
    Thank you all for your replies, I think now I will continue to learn Maya as it is, and then see if I can get used to it, before I try to change it.