• kanga
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character

So true man. I can't tell you how many times I get frustrated by the simple things... like how file is NOT the top leftmost menu item and I have to hunt for it everytime because I forget that the menu items are all alphabetical.
    that particular one is actually quite simple - make your own menu bar and hide the default one on application start through a startup script that presses the menu button in the titlebar. now if you should have to do this just to keep your sanity and why they can't simply go with established standards is another discussion...

• onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    Sure zbrush is powerful. But the UI is horrendous. I learned it in school around 2007,  I still dread using it till this day. But Im force to use it at work. I hope they eventually streamline the UI since Im stuck with it.

List of things I find annoying in Zbrush.
    - obj export with detached faces (BUG)
    - Alt key zoom when it is not intended
    - menus disappear quite often before i can choose the tool
    - Flipped V textures (makes no sense to me why they haven't fixed it)
    - subtool would disappear when autosaving
    - Lightbox pops open by default
    - the app covers the taskbar.
    - cannot detach panels.
    - hotkey assignment buggy
    - too many brushes that I dont need.

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator

- obj export with detached faces (BUG)

Around the polygroups? 
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid- it happens even on single polygroup. it would detach random sets of faces when I bring it into maya. Only way to fix it is to turnoff import multiple objects, but thats a workaround that I shouldn't have to do in the first place. What If I need certain objects to be seperate? It would be a pain in the butt to export subtool one by one.
  • ryebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryebot polycounter lvl 5
    The UI is definitely showing it's age, but I bet retooling it is a pretty big bag of hurt. Any attempt to overhaul it would probably break a lot of things. My money is on them just piling on more new features, but I would loved to be surprised.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    What If I need certain objects to be seperate? It would be a pain in the butt to export subtool one by one.
    Subtool master lets you do that pretty easily.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    cryrid- it happens even on single polygroup. it would detach random sets of faces when I bring it into maya. Only way to fix it is to turnoff import multiple objects, but thats a workaround that I shouldn't have to do in the first place. What If I need certain objects to be seperate? It would be a pain in the butt to export subtool one by one.
    Tool > Export > Grp?
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

beefaroni said:
    Tool > Export > Grp?
    i checked the setting that you mention. same thing happens. random faces gets detached

JedTheKrampus: " Subtool master lets you do that pretty easily. "
    Yes normally that should work. but i get the same result where. if thats not a serious bug i dono what is ?

• LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    If they add fillets/chamfers like in Fusion 360 or other splines software that would be a dream for hard surface artists.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11

beefaroni said:
    Tool > Export > Grp?
    i checked the setting that you mention. same thing happens. random faces gets detached

JedTheKrampus: " Subtool master lets you do that pretty easily. "
    Yes normally that should work. but i get the same result where. if thats not a serious bug i dono what is ?

I dont think I have ever encountered this (except on badly decimated meshes, where faces that only share 1 vertex with the rest of the mesh would get detached). Does it happen consistently for you?
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    So, Wacom just announced the Intuos 3D, which is bundled with a product called "ZBrushCore®" Is this a new ZBrush product? Something that was supposed to get announced at the next Summit later this month? It looks to be a stripped down version of ZBrush rather than a new ZBrush 5.

The ZBrushCore® from Pixologic, is the leading 3D-Sculpting/Digital-Clay application in a new, powerful and easy-to-learn format. It’s user-friendly with easy starting points, including ready-made basic shapes and templates for your own digital sketch.

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    jRocket said:
    So, Wacom just announced the Intuos 3D, which is bundled with a product called "ZBrushCore®" Is this a new ZBrush product? Something that was supposed to get announced at the next Summit later this month? It looks to be a stripped down version of ZBrush rather than a new ZBrush 5.

The ZBrushCore® from Pixologic, is the leading 3D-Sculpting/Digital-Clay application in a new, powerful and easy-to-learn format. It’s user-friendly with easy starting points, including ready-made basic shapes and templates for your own digital sketch.

They posted this video and while it's hard to tell if the poly modeling tools, nanomesh, arraymesh etc... are in there it doesn't look all that stripped down.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-JsejYmdgU
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I find it odd that they would advertise the bundle by showing a sculpting session with such an awful framerate. No amount of kickstarter-like elevator music is going to make anyone think that it is an intuitive way to work ...

All that said, I am still very curious to hear more about this stripped down Zbrush. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    m4dcow said:

They posted this video and while it's hard to tell if the poly modeling tools, nanomesh, arraymesh etc... are in there it doesn't look all that stripped down.

Have a look at the tool palette. Most of the sub-palettes are ripped out.

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    m4dcow said:

Have a look at the tool palette. Most of the sub-palettes are ripped out.

I guess, but there are features that have likely been integrated into other menus, like we see textures being painted, be it polypaint or a texture map but neither of those menus are there in the tools palette, and a "paint" brush is being used so one would think at least one of those are integrated somewhere else. Obviously there will be stuff stripped out especially since this is something that is coming bundled with a tablet for $200.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    m4dcow said:

Obviously there will be stuff stripped out especially since this is something that is coming bundled with a tablet for $200.
    Yes, but what a fantastic way for people to get into sculpting. And also ease newcomers into the 'dreaded' ZB UI

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Yes, but what a fantastic way for people to get into sculpting. And also ease newcomers into the 'dreaded' ZB UI
    Oh definitely, Sculptris was nice and all but you basically had to re-learn everything if you decided to bump up to ZBrush but ZBrushCore seems great as a hobbyist/educational version.

With the name ZbrushCore makes me wonder if there will be numbered versions of ZBrush, like whether ZBrush 5 would be ZBrush Pro or something along those lines. It will also be interesting to see how they will charge for ZBrush when the next version comes out.
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    So they announced 4R8, vector displacement maps that can be used as sort of 3D alphas, a normal manipulation gizmo pretty disappointing so far.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    The boolean stuff looks awesome to me. 
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    cryrid said:
    The boolean stuff looks awesome to me. 
    Yeh that does look pretty rad, I posted before it was shown.
  • lkameen3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkameen3 polycounter lvl 2
    i hopped on to literally the last 5 minutes of todays Zbrush Summit stream but they are releasing Zbrush 4R8 next. according to some friends who watched it all: 

Vector displacement maps, meshes, gizmos, magnifies, chisels, 3D Alpha, multi ALPHABRUSH, MasterBrush, Alpha manipulation and modification (transform3D)(IN 3D MODIFIED ON THE FLY!!!!)

Custom GIZMOS!!!!

Super Awesome lazymouse!!! Lazy Snap, OH SNAP!!!

but i didnt watch it
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i'll just check the executive summary of new features when the event is over. but 4R8 and new boolean functionality sounds good! did they read my request from page 1 or what? :)

here's hope that it will be more reliable in 64 bits than 4R7 which i abandoned in favour of it's 32 bit-only predecessor due to some general instability issues.

• Eleszar1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eleszar1 polycounter lvl 11
    thomasp said:

here's hope that it will be more reliable in 64 bits than 4R7 which i abandoned in favour of it's 32 bit-only predecessor due to some general instability issues.

dont worry about that mate preaty sure they  are alrdy on it
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    Who didn't watched the zsummit 2016 live - here's a link
    http://livestream.com/pixologic/2016ZBrushSummit/videos/137430095
    ZBrush 4r8 presentation start at 08:51
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I really liked how your strokes now don't 'double up' when they cross over each other or meet at a symmetry line, myself. Been wanting that since v2.5 ...