Home General Discussion

Question: what makes a good candidate for game design jobs?

Hi Everyone,

Hope you’re all well.

I'm in my final year at university and looking into employment options for when I graduate. Although I have a keen interest and skills in programming I have decided to focus more on game design. Obviously, everyone has to start somewhere and I'm wondering how your journeys began when trying to apply for jobs within the game development industry?

Also if you are an employer within the games development industry I would be more than appreciative if you could outline the skills you would expect from a games design graduate?

Much appreciated!

Martyn

Replies

• Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Have you visited recruitment websites from Blizzard, EA, Ubi, etc? Collecting job ads should give you a very good picture of currently relevant skills. Blizzard also have a page with background info which type of content they would like to see in portfolios for particular positions.
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Game design is hard getting a job. Many people want to do it, because it seemingly requires no practical skills and people that cant do art and neither can programm or anything want to be idea guys for games. There is not much to expect, you should try to convince them why you deserve to be called a game designer. There must be a reason why you deserve a job, just build opon that.
    You can also specialize on things, leveldesign, monetization, etc and create documents, articles and or prototypes.
    Its best if you can also show practical skills not only theorethical stuff.
  • slipsius
    Game DESIGN jobs are not junior positions. It is probably the hardest position to get straight out of school. Damn near impossible. 

The biggest thing about design jobs is you need other skills. You need to be able to create games as well. Designers tend to prototype stuff themselves. They don't just sit around coming up with ideas. they need to be able to help the team they are on as well. For many of them, the ones that I have met, come from programming backgrounds, or they have made their own games (plural) in engines like unreal, or game maker, or stuff like that. You need to be able to prove that your designs are good by having playable demos of what you've designed. This is far more than having a playable level in unreal. Anyone can easily get a first person game going, running around a grey box level with a few puzzle switches.

You need to show off your ability to design cameras, combat, game SYSTEMS. How do they all work together. What makes them fun? What hooks the player in? 

It's worth noting that many designers get in that position by working their way up through a company. They start out as something else and end up in the designer role after years of doing something else. programmer, then lead, then designer? 

So if you have skills as a programmer, you`ll have better luck looking for a programmer position to start. Dont pigeon hole yourself into only applying for design jobs. 

• Leepurr
    Thanks everyone for you answers and suggestions!

For the past two years I have enjoyed developing environments. I enjoy coming up with an environmental concept and developing the assets and bringing them together in an editor like UE4. My game development background started in programming and at university I have had to use my knowledge to develop a lot of gameplay systems (mostly for group projects). In my final year I have been selected as the producer for my Junior/Senior module (groups of 12+ people varying in skills must come up with a game idea and make it by the end of the year). I have enjoyed being in control of the direction of the project. It has given me a great experience in decision making, taking responsibility for my self and my team and has allowed me to continue doing what I enjoy which is developing assets and gameplay systems.

Has anybody got some insight/interesting stories that they could share about the start of their careers?