Home Unity

Baked directional light - much worse quality than the realtime one

sevek
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
sevek polycounter lvl 6
Hi, i'm experimenting with Unity's directional lights and there is one thing i cannot understand...

I have a simple scene with one static object and one directional light. If i set the directional's light 'Baking' parameter to realtime, the quality of light is very good:

However if i turn this to a baked light the quality worsens dramatically:

Material suddenly becomes grey, less details are visible, looks ugly all the way around.

This is counter intuitive for me. I would expected that baked lighting should give a better result since its computed 'offline' and gpu/cpu has as much time as it wants to calculate all the stuff. However the results show exactly the opposite.

Could someone knowledgeable please explain this to me ? Is there any way i can achieve realtime light quality using the baked one ? Obviously I don't want to waste processing power on realtime lighting for a static objects. On the other hand the quality of the baked light i'm getting above is unacceptable.

Replies

• sevek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sevek polycounter lvl 6
    Ok, i think i figured that out... It looks like it was the matter of shader i was using. It was one of legacy shaders from Unity 4 and i'm not sure if it was compatible with Enlighten. After using a new shaders the results are better. I still find the 'realitime quality' to be superior but i hope that further experimenting with different shader parameters will eventually bring better effect. I'd love to see an option for making baked look simply the same as the realtime one...