Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crowfall videos & art

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
JamesGoblin polycounter lvl 3
Just couple pics & concepts I like from the upcoming game I am VEERY MUCH hyped for - it already has more than $7M of budget and 115 000+ registered supporters, not bad for PvP MMO kickstarted last March.

As seasons go by, it's worlds are slowly devoured by thing called The Hunger - the end of winter marks the end of the world and death of all in it. For example, this is how The Hunger plays with kitty over four seasons:

Another concept, even more inspiring, is that you don't play as a human, but as a crow - spirit crow that can possess bodies. After death, one doesn't just respawn, but has to fly around in crow form and seek new corpse to inhabit; This often means change of class, race and sex!?

Here is the story of the comic above, which also explains some important game mechanics: At first (pages 4,5) a knight chooses to serve Malekai, the Lord of Shadows - one of 13 gods. Malekai grants him eternal life and other benefits, but the knight is obliged to fight and pillage in god's name - this might include building and maintaining statues and tempes (which also cost gold and resources for taxes and maintenance).
After that (pages 1,2,3), on the 47th day of the War of the False Kings, the knight dies and the crow-spirit leaves to fly and find another body (pages 6,7). On the graveyard nearby, the crow finds the corpse of a fallen champion, possesses it and walks away to fight for Malekai again.
...and they all lived happily ever after :D

Finally, here is couple random videos, (have mercy, these are very early game tests) - first one is Confessor fighting for D'Orion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qe73uQPu4o
...and some rough and messy PvP footage of Ranger fighting for that spider god I mentioned, Malekai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPPl7MpwqyI

PS The best quick intro to Crowfall is it's IGN Wiki. Otherwise, you can just enjoy some of it's artwork - here is the album with hundreds of images and screenshots.

Replies

• franciscourant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    franciscourant polycounter lvl 3
    The comics with the vessels and the crow is really cool, I like the colors, expressions of the personage, postures, the ethereal Crow floating in the air. The artist doing this is pretty talented.

As for the game: very interesting ideas but so far we haven't seen a lot of things materializing. We've been testing  the PvP since a while and now they're adding siege weapons, but when will we get the first campaign? I think it's only at that moment we'll know what Crowfall is really about. thanks for sharing this stuff my friend
  • JamesGoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesGoblin polycounter lvl 3
    The comics with the vessels and the crow is really cool, I like the colors, expressions of the personage, postures, the ethereal Crow floating in the air. The artist doing this is pretty talented.

As for the game: very interesting ideas but so far we haven't seen a lot of things materializing. We've been testing  the PvP since a while and now they're adding siege weapons, but when will we get the first campaign? I think it's only at that moment we'll know what Crowfall is really about. thanks for sharing this stuff my friend

It seems that folks here are amused with high poly polished screenshots, stuff relatively quick and easy to make, while models and animations that are actually integral part of something bigger, a very complex MMO in this case, aren't producing much splash!?

Especially when shown live, in motion and already integrated with many other systems - it took millions of bucks just to reach this stage. Stuff is rather low poly due to planned battles with hundreds of players, and I guess Crowfall art team is doing quite decent job, having in mind strong limitations put on their models and resources.

For what it's worth, here is couple interactive 3D models: that hellcat from the OP, 3D gryphon and an animator explaining how making the models "alive" actually works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeYdPCbEsEQ

• franciscourant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    franciscourant polycounter lvl 3
    This gryphon is stunning. The amount of work put in the modeling, animation and texturing must be gigantic. And They probably had to make different animation, model and texture for each version of this creature: as you certainly know it, each season it transforms into even more of an abomination, with the flesh getting corrupted and immerse spikes of ice transpiercing its body.

Allison Theus, Nicholas McBride and whoever else worked on those gryphons, you guys are extraodinary artists.  :)
  • franciscourant