Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: color id render from max is black - no colors

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
bbhead polycounter lvl 3
Hello All!

Pretty new to quixel and my first post and am pretty sure I am missing something probably rather simple but after I apply color id's to my objects in max and hit render in quixel colors tab I get a black render?? Everything is uv'd correctly and in same uv tile.
Must objects be attached to same mesh?

Cheers

Michael

Replies

• bbhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbhead polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, It seems using max 2015 was the problem. It works with 2016. Why?
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sythen polycounter lvl 10
    Hey there BBHead,

I'm unsure! Are you doing any projected bakes (with cage)?
    Not been able to replicate a black render in Max 2015 - works fine here.
    Let me know,

Thanks,
    Scott.
  • bbhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbhead polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Scott,

No. I am not. I was actually using the whiplash tutorial scene file from you guys. I just can't seem to figure it out.

Would love to solve this issue as 2015 is my preferred Max version at the moment.

Michael
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey BBHead,

Can you click the 'C' in the top left of Quixel Colors and let me know what version you're running?
    Thanks,

Scott.
  • bbhead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bbhead polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Scott,

V1.3

Michael
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, I'm not sure.

The  render bar in Quixel Colors is just a simpler way of 3Ds Max's RenderToTexture window, we've modified it to render out in TIFF or PNG format, 
    Can you try render out with just 3Ds Max's Render To Texture and let me know if the problem persists?

Thanks,
    Scott.
  • hawkenfox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawkenfox null
    It would definitely help if you could point us to the setting you want us to use inside 3d studio max so we don't need
    to guess what is the default that quixel uses?
  • Sythen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey there Hawkenfox,

Please find the second part of a two-part tutorial series we created on ID Colors for Quixel SUITE.
    All the information you require should be here, if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.

http://quixel.se/tutorial/ddo-painter-color-id-primer-part-2/03:24/

Specifically answering the question in regards to using the RenderToTexture method:
    making sure you render out using DiffuseMap at whatever resolution you desire in TIFF or PNG
    should be all the settings you require to bake an ID Map, use a projection modifier if you're baking
    floating geometry or a high poly.

These are the minimum required settings, though as we've found with any map baking it all 
    comes down to workflow and can be very much mesh dependent. So experiment to find what works
    with every given model you do. You can also send the mesh to us if you'd like some assistance.

Kind regards,
    Scott.