Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Funky Monkey: Unreal project

null
Offline / Send Message
Phuong null
Hey guys,
I'm making a simple game over the time period of a few months, mainly to study blueprints in UE4.
To focus on the blueprints, I will simplify all graphical aspects of the game.
Since it is the year of the monkey, the theme for the game will be monkeys!

Game Tasks

You plays the as a monkey, who is escaping from an island where he was being held captured for 500 years, touching the lotus in the pagoda on top of the mountain will set you free. First you have to find 2 keys which are distributed on 2 different floating islands.

Keys are protected by enemies. There are 2 kind of enemies: Skeletons (spawn at various locations on the map) and Spider ( only when you hit the tree more than certain amount of given times).

Hitting a tree will give you a change to be rewarded with a fruit, gather enough fruit pieces and you level up to Monkey King.

Mockup:

Game Design:

Low poly style, little bit exaggerated in proportions. Environment will be at night so the mood is a bit dark with light from different entities ( moon, tree, enemies themselves, etc).

Asset list:

Monkey ( naked) -> Monkey King (clothed)

Weapon

Enemies: Skeleton, spider

Environments:

-Tree

- Bridge

- Pagoda

- Rock
                - Mountain

-Floating island

Replies

• purplekami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    Cool concept! For your asset list if it doesn't break your scope I would suggest some sort of artificial lighting like a basic torch if it's going to be a night scene so that you can create focal points and can guide the player through your environment. This would also give you more potential room for color tone shifts. Unless you want to stick to natural lighting of course.
  • Phuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phuong null
    I did some quick texturing for my game . I used only one texture map (swatch) for everything. 

On the other hand, i tried to not forget my main goal blueprints.  It took me a while to figure out matinee function in UE4. I used it to make floating  islands seen in the image below.

I think another artificial light would enhance the play experience.
    Thank you for the input.
  • Phuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phuong null
    It took me a  while to continue on this little thing.  i tried to add everything a little bit to have a general image then i can work on detail.
    I did add movement and shooting script for the character with particle effect. The white barrels which are disappeared after shooting in an image below will be replaced  by trees.

On the other hand, i also made  a simple HUD with health and coin. Its graphic is just temporary. I  will replace the text by icons.
    At this moment i can pick up coin and show it in the HUD but as for health, i press "K" to test losing health in the bar.

• Phuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phuong null
    I had to stop working on this for a while . This time, i made my character with idle, walking and attacking animation. But for some reasons, after applying the animation blueprint, my monkey cannot shoot fire anymore and the attacking animation is not showed up there. I'm trying to figure it out now and will update soon! :)
  • Phuong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phuong null
    After a while, i finally finished my little game.  Find the key and get to the top, you will win !
  • Leinadien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinadien vertex
    Looks like you're in need of better textures. :)