Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: Smart material creating a problematic mask

Ski
Ski
I'll try to break my workflow process as best I can:

Using latest Quixel Suite
Photoshop CC 2015 x64

The model I made originally came from Zbrush and exported as a .OBJ along with the creation Normal, AO, ID, and Cavity maps.

Everything up to this point has loaded ok so far, but it isn't until when I load a smart material where I notice the texture is completely off, and as you can see in the in the diffuse and mask texture, that's not correct. 

And the result mesh:

I tested a different model from 3ds max with the same smart material loaded and it came out fine, the only difference in the 3ds max case was that I didn't have a cavity map for an input and let DDO create it. So I decided to reload all of my input maps minus the cavity map this time, and for the most part it is working now, albeit the mask still needs to be tweaked to balance the textures. I was hoping someone could illuminate for me why the cavity map caused the mask to come out the way it did. And also, what the proper workflow process is for exporting input maps from Zbrush because I think that had a lot to do with the way everything ended up. Anyways, I'll follow up tomorrow afternoon. 

Regards.

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey, Ski!

There's a lot of variables to getting the masks to come out consistently if you're using another tool to bake your maps. Did you allow xNormal to bake your cavity map? 3DO expects a curvature map, which is a bit different than the input you provided - but it will create one for you. If you're using a high-to-low bake, just add the tangent normals and then you'll get curvature generated from the normal map.

A good workflow:

Create tangent normals and AO from zBrush, allow 3DO to create object space normals, curvature, and gradient maps. That should help keep it consistent.
  • Ski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ski
    No I didn't use xNormal, is that sorta necessary in my case? And would it help? I just downloaded it and tried baking some maps, and all of them came up blank. Guess that's more googling to do.

Also, can you elaborate on the high to low bake, I don't understand what that means.

Edit: I got Xnormal working now, works way better than Zbrush in terms of baking, and much simpler too. Thanks.