Home Technical Talk

[SOLVED] Having issues with my overlaid clothing + skin wrap not deforming to the base mesh exactly

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
drysider polycounter lvl 9
EDIT: PREMATURE POST!! I was very tired and just wanted some help in figuring this out but it turns out the fix is ridiculously simple. Just check 'Vert Deformation' to 'Face Deformation' in the Skin Wrap settings.

Hi everybody!

I'm having a really frustrating issue that I was really hoping some people could give me guidance with asap as it's pretty important to the project I'm working on.

I'm working on a character model which has a customizable, layered wardrobe. I have a number of clothing pieces that I've extracted from the base model, applied a Push modifier to, and layered over the body. Some fit very snugly to the body, others are bulkier. Various pieces of clothing can be layered over the body and then over each other - so say, the pants mesh can be laid over the leggings mesh without any clipping or zfighting.

The plan was to apply a simple skin wrap from the body to the clothing and be done with it. Since the clothes are almost all just mesh extractions with a push modifier, all verts should line up very neatly, like so:

Looking great!

However, as soon as I apply a skin wrap, something weird happens, and I suddenly have a whole host of clipping issues. The strangest thing is that the skin wrap seems to not be getting the data correctly - verts from the clothing pieces to not match at all with the deformation of the body mesh. You can see here how the pants verts on the left upper leg and the right waist are not at all in their correct positions, even though the pants mesh itself lines up pretty much perfectly with the body mesh. This is happening with all pieces of clothing that require a tight snug fit.

I'm not the greatest with skinning and rigging, it's definitely not my forte, so I'm stumped figuring out how I can go about fixing this problem efficiently and as fast as possible. I don't have the time to go through and correct every wrong weight, I have a huge number of clothing pieces that I need to skin as quickly as possible, and more to come. Not only that, because clothing needs to layer across each other, everything needs to have the exact same skin data to avoid clipping while deforming.

Is this just an issue because the clothing is so snug to the body? It really doesn't seem like it should be.... I've used skin wrap to much better results on much more heavily edited clothes. Please help!!