Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The beast - beast

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
*final submission!!*

A behemoth guarding the gates to the realm beyond. Only those pure of heart are allowed to approach, only those pure of heart will be granted passage.

I submit the girl als prop/creatures/living corpse ;) Her only purpose is to support the narrative around the creature and establish scale. I considered using a fur solution, but choose not to, as I felt fur might not look good on a creature this big (fur tends to make creatures look small and fluffy), and I wanted to experiment with a more clay-sculpted amd painted look for the creature. Additionally, This model lends itself perfectly for 3d printing now :D
I would have liked to use a bit of subsurface scattering on the beast, but it seems iray in Substance Designer doesn't has a default shader for it. Still sticking to iray for now though.

Beautyshots rendered in Substance Designer:

Wireframe (35256 tris) and 2 out of 4 4096 textures (1 set used).

Pedestal is 4857 tris (rock and girl together) and use a single 2048 texture set. To save on polygons, I've thrown away invisible faces from the backside, and used decimation to create a low poly for the girl. Needless to say, she's not fit to be animated :D
Hope you guys like it!

Cheers,
Stuffkikker

////
Hi, it's a bit late, but I'm going to join in anyway! It so happens I made a sketch last year I simply named "Beast", and initially I felt like going with that. Then I thought, no, I want a character and play around with fabrics and decorations and get this dark demon like thing going on, so I made a whole bunch of sketches, did a bunch of blockouts in zbrush, and then... decided I just had to do something with my initial beast sketch anyway. It's this guy:
And I just think he is awesome ;) Not much opportunity to play around with different surface types, garments and such, but I hope to be able to present him in a compelling way anyway. (And, of course, get him finished in time!)

Here is a first blockout sculpt:

Replies