Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Beast - Primal

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
LSheridan polycounter lvl 6
Primal Hunter
"It wasn't enough that his past was haunted by endless tragedy, it seemed his future was destined to be just as painful. Little did he know a simple hunt would change his life forever. He could have prepared better. Or simply not thought himself so great. It matters little now. Years have gone by and the transformation is nearly complete. Soon not even the pain of a future lost will be evident. Just the instinct to hunt."

Great contest. I tried to keep things simple because of my insane schedule, but also because I hadn't really dove into Substance yet. There is a lot I would do differently looking back, like giving myself more time with Substance. Regardless, I'm happy with the results, learned a ton, and can't wait to move to my next character.

--------ORIGNAL POST---------
For my entry I won't be straying too far from the classic story of the beast, with some slight changes and a stylized approach, focusing on a more primal creature, but still very much human.

Some key background points:
  • At a young age ran away from home. Was raised by an angry, abusive father and mother disappeared at a very young age. Does not know whether she is dead or alive. Assumes the worst because of his father.

• Learned to hunt and survive on his own. Spent a lot of time with travelling merchants who paid him for his resourcefulness; setting up camp, hunting, bargaining, etc.

• Eventually settled in the woods near a fairly large city and became a well known hunter. Had some close friends, but mostly preferred to be alone. Had a love interest he never pursued thanks to low self-esteem.

• Prideful in his hunting prowess, he took on the task of hunting a mysterious creature rumored to be killing people outside a small village in a fairly remote area. Assuming he could handle the situation and not properly preparing himself, he came across something far more out-of-this-world than he expected. His world went dark upon encountering the creature, until he awoke to himself eating the corpse of an animal in the middle of the forest at night.

• Despite travelling back to the location of the mysterious creature, and every effort in learning more about it, he has all but given up hope in curing his “ailment” and has become a full recluse. He now resides in a long abandoned castle that people choose to avoid due to rumors of it being haunted and a terrible beast living inside.

Here is the concept I've created for him. Sculpt WIP coming soon.

Replies

• LSheridan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, sculpt WIP

• LSheridan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Primal Hunter
    "It wasn't enough that his past was haunted by endless tragedy, it seemed his future was destined to be just as painful. Little did he know a simple hunt would change his life forever. He could have prepared better. Or simply not thought himself so great. It matters little now. Years have gone by and the transformation is nearly complete. Soon not even the pain of a future lost will be evident. Just the instinct to hunt."

Great contest. I tried to keep things simple because of my insane schedule, but also because I hadn't really dove into Substance yet. There is a lot I would do differently looking back, like giving myself more time with Substance. Regardless, I'm happy with the results, learned a ton, and can't wait to move to my next character. <span>:smile:</span>