Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game art, defining style and general feedback plz

Hi we just launched a Kickstarter and I wanted to engage more with the community about our art style. Obviously I more specifically want feedback from other artists about defining our own style in this niche.

Here is a sample 

To me, the characters also feel slightly detached from the scene itself but maybe that's just because I spent too much time staring at it :)

We don't really have an online gallery for more example other than our Kickstarter I'll link it here in case you would like to look at more samples before replying 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chimeraco/lux-a-survival-mmorpg-pc-mac-xb1-ps4

Replies

• MonoSilentMe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a couple more examples in case you hate clicking links

• miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    I feel the environment has more level of detail than the characters on the first screenshot, the last one is fine though. The first thing I usually scan on a environment is people... the trees look beautifully detailed, but they are not the protagonists, I think, maybe work the economy a bit better?
  • Haversack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Honestly the biggest thing I see separating the characters from the environment is the shadow under the character's feet. Because they have shadows, and the environment pieces do not, you get an odd dissonance of expecting the cacti and bones and such to have shadows too. Giving shadows to the other entities on screen will bring everything to the same level.

*Edit*
    After looking at the pictures more I see the other shadows. The separation that is happening may just be a color thing. I do like the art style though. Do you have any gifs of it in motion?()
    *edit 2*
    Looked at the kickstarter stuff.
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    I hate being that girl, but this looks a lot like don' starve, My first reaction was thinking this was some kind of mod for it.

Don't get me wrong, it looks really nice. Maybe it's just me, but a visual identity is as important as everything. But it's a bit like that game http://www.totalminer.com/ It's not minecraft, it is different, but if freaking look the same. Or this