Home Technical Talk

Texture size vs world scale issue

MythN7
null
Offline / Send Message
MythN7 null
Hello, I have always been a fan of using 3ds max mental ray materials set to real world scale, only having 1 mesh per material for high res still renders.
But now I am trying to unwrap my models for game engines.
What I am failing to understand is the proper way to set up your uvs where you need to paint detail in that will be close up to the camera but the entire mesh is possible of this as the player would run around the scene.

So this is just a random scene I created to show off the issue at hand clearly.
In this image I am showing that a box set to be a massive scene scale.
The biped is spawned at 6 feet tall to give perspective of the world scale.
In Photoshop I created a 2k x 2k bitmap with a thin white border around it and applied this bitmap to the box.

So with packing the uv islands into the 1 to 1 grid space this is how big only a few rows of pixels are from a 2k bitmap.  so painting in any type of detail is going to be basically at the quality of an icon or less even at this 2k bitmap size.

Now the 2 solutions I can think of are to use several 2k bitmaps or to just extend the uvs outside the 1 to 1 grid space and use a seamless texture.

This in both cases does not address the issue at hand for me.

So in this example, this is the same box as above.
But this time, I scaled up the uv cluster to make the 1 to 1 uv space grid almost look like a pixel by compassion as such:
so in the edit uvw window this is for the base tile brick.
then in the other 2 material viewers this is an unwrap i did on a 2nd uv channel where i cut the original topology into ugly format to maintain lower counts but to allow selectable polys that I could turn into there own uv islands as shown in the grey.  The above is just some Photoshop work to fill in those details.
So the idea is that I would have 1 or 2 bitmaps that hold all the texture detail that is meant to be on top the base tile mat, then just use them as stickers so to say around the mesh.

Now in 3ds max, this is what the render looks like after going out of my way to create an opacity mask that shows the brick under the unused grey space of the detail painting, and messing around with the composite layers values.

So for rendering in 3ds max, this could be a usable workflow, but it seems overly complicated for just the process of this example, of putting windows and a door on a flat large scale single poly.

So after seeing all this, my goal for knowing the proper way to do this type of texturing is for use in unreal engine 4.  I also paint with substance which does not allow use of uv channels past the 1st, so this method also restricts me to using Photoshop it seems.

If i was to texture large tanks, or space ships, where the base metals and what not are fine with a repeating seamless, how would I best approach painting details like bolts and pipes and the what not's when the islands need to be so huge just to have a so so quality res base coat?

Thank you in advance.