Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: How do I get rid of this seam?

PixelApocalypse
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PixelApocalypse polycounter lvl 8
Hi,
Not a long time user of the Quixel suite yet. Tried the 1.7 version but had a lot of problems with it. Figured I try out the new version since I have a license anyway. See there are a lot of improvements, like the improvements so far.
I'm having a problem getting rid of this seam http://puu.sh/nJL11/609651f5b7.jpg
It seems you can't actually paint a material on the 3d model so that it splits it correctly on the uv map right? Only Mari and substance Painter can do that so far If i'm correct.
I think it can't be done in quixel and that's it's just a bad uv decision on my part in the end, but I can also think of situations (like an unwrapped hand for example) where you would run into this seam problem either way no matter how you UV it.

Is it possible to paint over this somehow to get rid of this seam...?

Kind regards,

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Pixel!

Seam placement is definitely important in the SUITE - but that may change in the future. What you can attempt to do is duplicate the layer that's producing visible seams, set its scale up or down a notch or two, and then paint in manually around the seam to minimize the seam's appearance or outright eliminate it.
  • PixelApocalypse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelApocalypse polycounter lvl 8
    That doesn't make sense to me. As I understand it the only thing the suite does is generate a tile-able texture (which doesn't really matter with UV like this) and puts a mask over it. How can seams EVER match up this way. In different parts on the texture you will always have color variations. I don't see how scaling would solve this issue?
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    It currently does generate a tileable texture, yes - however, you can reduce entirely minimize seams by using a copy of the same layer set to a different scale as I mentioned previously. :smile: It won't always work, but it should help reduce some of the problem. You could also get creative and use another material, set its reflectance and gloss/specular to match your current material, then paint on the seam to help hide the transition. Currently this is really all you can do aside from putting seams in less visible places, but there are plans in the works to reduce or eliminate seams entirely.