Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Attempt At Creating a Starship

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
VinsonVisions polycounter lvl 8

Hello guys! Vinson Visions here. Well, this is my first attempt to create a Star Trek- themed ship suitable for a video game. Textures were created with Quixel Suite and Photoshop and modeled and rendered in 3DS Max. I guess I'm just looking for some general feedback/critique. This model was made several months ago but since then it's been given alot touch-ups.

...I guess my concern is that it has too many hard edges and not quite enough detail to be a good portfolio piece. I plan on building interiors sets of this ship as well, but we got to start with the outside, right?

I'm still trying to learn more advanced lighting and texture settings, so think of this as my first attempt at creating something more professional. I'd appreciate any feedback!

Replies

• Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    I'd say it's a good start !

Drop the black background because it's really hard to read the ship right now.

I think there's some issue with the sense of scale. I feel the ship is huge but there's some details that indicate it's not that big (like the medium scaled lights) so I'm kinda lost here.

keep it up !
  • Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    I agree with what @Cremuss is saying it is a good overall design, I would push your materials more so it feels like metal and reduce the normals you have on your material that make it look rough. also you have some cool lights on the ship but i would look into maybe adding some red and blue lights like you typically see on aircraft, just a thought. But good start man keep on trucking!
  • VinsonVisions
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah the running lights could use some scaling. Thanks so much! And I'll keep a non-black background in mind next time.

I actually posted an animation for the ship on my YouTube channel with a background behind it, if you'd want to take a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zhJx_rSuNA

• Cglewis
    Offline / Send Message
    Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
    that is defiantly really cool! I think the comments above still hold true.
  • VinsonVisions
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks so much for the feedback!

I'm actually currently touching up the model, such as splitting it up into pieces for performance, retexturing it, and adding in more detail. And I'll definitely fix and touch up those running lights and see if I can give it a more "metal" feel. I'll be posting it on here once the ship's it's all textured and lighted up. Can't say how long it will take but I'm certain to make it look really good, and I'm planning on having it done in 2-5 weeks' time. Hope to see you in the future if you stick around. :)