Home Technical Talk

Feeling really useless atm (trying to model; Zbrush)

Travisty
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Travisty polycounter lvl 2
Looking for some sort of insight to be honest. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong as I can't stop hitting the same ceiling repeatedly.

I've downloaded trials of Blender, Modo, Maya, Zbrush, and Sculptris. Ultimately I settled with trying to learn Maya and Zbrush and have spent a month trying to learn them with nothing to show for it. My fiance drew a front and side view of a character and while the perspective is 90% accurate and-after some alignment and resizing-still not 100% lined up it's good enough for me to work with. But in Zbrush all I get after 3-4 hours is this hideous garbage shape I've worked on. In Maya I can't even get that far. It's been a week of this for 6-8 hours a day. I have a huge file with notes from tutorials I've done. I don't know what to do. It seems so obvious and I watch others do it both in Zbrush and Maya but when I attempt to do the same thing I get wildly different results.

In both instances I set up image planes and whatnot. Standard affair.

Zbrush: I'll grab a sphere, dynamesh, Move Tool with a MASSIVE brush and using the reference views (Front and Left respectively) I'll pull out a shape. It resembles a light bulb that's been melted at the bottom. I try to fix up the torso by pushing it in as I just want a head and body for this part. This mostly works. The upper torso, head, and neck are an odd mangled thing*. I then use the curvebrush to draw out arms and legs. I pull them out with the move brush (ClayTubes /ClayBuildUp and smoothing never worked out here in my previous attempts) and I have just an ugly mesh. Everything is crooked and squigly and tilted and warped. I attempt to fix these things with ClayTubes and smoothing. It doesn't work. This is the best I've gotten so far:
https://gyazo.com/c4a67fb510d49caed8d8d602901bd81d
https://gyazo.com/6320c2730620dd69728120ab23649448
I got that far by quickly getting to the point where I could say I got the reference's shapes down roughly enough and began to freeform model. This let me begin working on the neck  and filling in the spinal shape give or take. But when I tried to fix the chin it went really poorly. Same with the nose. Then I accidentally poked in some eyes and the mouth and now here I am xD Should've hit undo but I tilted :/ worked too long with too many failures and not enough breaks. Coming back to it I see that I have good outlines for a base of a base mesh :/ but it's complete garbage and the more I try to refine it the worse that it gets. The opposite of any art I've done in the past. It's not that I can't see what's wrong. It's that the more I try to fix it the worse it gets. And the tutorials I watch just show people magically going from dynameshed sphere to beautiful creation using the same steps I am but without the horrid artifacts.

To be clear I'm trying to create a sort of base mesh to build characters from. I liked her character's proportions so I asked her to make a side view for me so that I could work with said proportions. I'm a decent artist but ultimately I like using templates to get to where I'm going faster. The initial linework for me tends to take the longest. In 2D I usually went on OpenGameArt, found a spritesheet and overhauled it HEAVILY to fit what I was going for. Once I have a base I tend to have a super easy time moving forward. I blame blank-paper-paralysis. 

On the Maya front I've got a ~8 face chest. That's it. I just can't get Maya to ever do what I'm trying to do. I don't understand why it's so difficult xD I was working with Pixel Art before so I thought I'd mesh better with a hard surface modelling program as I'd have more precise control. I couldn't even get the spine shaped out. And it, IN THEORY, was just ~3 edge loops so that I could have 8? faces on the back and push them in (because pulling anything out in Maya doesn't work..) to fit the shapes I was seeing. AHAHAHHAHA no. Instead the thing just hunchbacked, rolled its "shoulders" and then turned into a triangle with a flattened bottom end. I don't even.

*Next time I plan on just using InsertSphere for the head

**We both realize that feet don't point inward. This drawing was from a year ago and I wasn't even trying to copy that flaw. That was yet another artifact.

***SUPER edit: if I can get Zbrush going I'll be using that and Blender probably. I've used Blender to animate random stuff back in the 8th grade so I figure that if 8th grade me could do it... Because saving money.

Replies

• Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    Just my 2 cents.  1 week is not a very long time. It's going to take you a while to get used to the programs.  
    Edit. Read that all wrong. But still 1 month trying to learn maya/zbrush for someone not used to 3d programs is still not a very long time

And  try use lower subdivisions when blocking out the shape. By that I mean use less polygons. It's easier to get a clean curve with say 3 vertices than 20.  The screen shots shown are a bit too high resolution. Keep at it :)  

Oh and if blocking in maya don't be afraid of triangles/ngons get you proportions and gesture first. Then you can clean that up or run dynamesh on it
  • 8bitTurtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the problem is that you're throwing in the towel too early. For starters, 2D won't always translate perfectly to 3D so use those drawings more as a guide. The head may particularly be problematic...no offense to ur fiance. On that mesh, the proportions are going in the right direction and thats one of the hardest parts I've learned. 

As Daew said, use less polies...that way, it'll be easier to just form your figure/proportions. Use various shapes (spheres/cylinders, etc) to form the char instead of using a whole solid mesh. When you're happy with that, then dynamesh and add detail. But assuming thats what you did, c'mon bruh that gingerbread face wasn't an honest attempt at it at all. But in case it was, smooth it out and try at it again...it'll take a while & numerous attempts before you end up with something you like but the trick/secret is to not give up. In time, you'll find your char slowly looking better & coming to life. 

• Travisty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew said:
    Just my 2 cents.  1 week is not a very long time. It's going to take you a while to get used to the programs.  
    Edit. Read that all wrong. But still 1 month trying to learn maya/zbrush for someone not used to 3d programs is still not a very long time

And  try use lower subdivisions when blocking out the shape. By that I mean use less polygons. It's easier to get a clean curve with say 3 vertices than 20.  The screen shots seem to show a but too high resolution. Keep at it :)  

Oh and if blocking in maya don't be afraid of triangle/n.gonna get you proportions, gesture first. Then you can clean that up or run dynamesh on it
    Mhm makes sense; I'll lower my polycount in Dynamesh. xD I actually thought that if I had it lower than all I'd be doing was screwing myself over by having to constantly redynamesh because I would never have enough polygons to go around!

And my problem with Maya is that it just doesn't make sense to me. If I want to take a square and make it a rectangle I can't just grab a face and move it upward. I can't even grab that face and push it inward. But I SEE people do it. I've seen tutorials where I'm following along and someone does something that I can't do and I'm like "Okay. Well then." ; I've got a blender tutorial open that I anticipate I'll be following through. Thank you for the tips on Dynamesh and yeah, I can see how a month is a bit short in regard to time. Just used to rapid iteration so a month feels like forever! xP
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    it took me five years to learn to model a decent char...
    try harder...
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Yes like the others said, you are trying to do everything at once. To get a solid base to work from I suggest using zspheres initially. While dynamesh is amazing I find it is really more for advanced sculptors. The disadvantage of dynamesh is it doesnt let you go up and down in division levels from the get go. I made a series of vids that demonstrate the process. Look for Chris Kautz on youtube. The series zsphere to actor is a bit old but it should give you a pretty clear picture.

First off you have to get used to viewport (canvas) navigation, then using brushes. You should be practicing making characters instead of trying to make a finished product straight away. It takes time and there is no instant gratification here, but the learning process is really a lot of fun.

A couple of words on zspheres:
    They are an approximate so when you use symmetry to set up you figure realize that the result is not completely symmetrical, so once you have a skin of your base form export it to your 3dapp using GoZ and play with the export settings in ZBrush till you have the right size in your 3dapp. This is important because ZB will often export at a very small size and the whole process of making a character ready for games or anything else means sizes have to be right. Also the combo ZB and a standard 3d modelling app is a very powerful one and for uvs and texturing its vital.

Once you have your skinned zsphere model at a good size in your model app make sure the model has a complete loop running around the x axis (may change depending on the software but this is most common). If it doesnt have a loop then model it in. Delete one half of the mesh. Select the center edge loop and align it in the x axis, position it at x=0 and use a modifier or clone copy paste to mirror and weld it to the original half making your model perfectly symmetrical. Send the model back to ZBrush. Use subdivision levels to sculpt your character. Like I said you can see the process in the videos I made.

Get used to using ZBrush, it really is a blast!
    Cheerio

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    why not 'build' the model in 3d then add details in the sculpt. you will learn a lot doing it that way
    some guys actually model everything form 3d primitives and then combine them with dynamesh
  • Joebewon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    I have to agree with @Ruz on your situation. 
    Especially with how the character is shaped, you might be better creating the character in Maya first using box modeling. 
    Then, once you got the base mesh down take that into Zbrush and start sculpting.  

Also, I think if you're completely new to 3d maybe doing a character right from the start might be a pretty big leap.  
    Maybe try a prop?  Something a bit smaller scale might help you not feel so overwhelmed to finish a whole character.  
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Ruz said:
    why not 'build' the model in 3d then add details in the sculpt. you will learn a lot doing it that way
    some guys actually model everything form 3d primitives and then combine them with dynamesh
    A good idea too. This will teach you the basics of polymodelling.
  • Travisty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All of your tips were very helpful! 

@Ruz - I tried this but Maya and I disagree heavily on how things "work" and I can't seem to get the program to cooperate in regard to modeling. I've tried tutorials and things currently aren't working out. Trying Blender shortly.

@Joebewon - I'll follow this advice; I poorly assumed that since the character's shapes were so simple it would be a small task.

@Kanga - I'll try this. At the very least it's a MUCH more controlled start than what I've been working with and I like the idea based on what I'm making. All of your tips were excellent and I'm glad to know them in advance. Thanks! OH! Also I picked up on the viewport navigation quickly thanks to the Z-Classroom videos. Wasn't unintuitive at all. I already know how Alphas, Strokes, Falloffs, ect. work :) Just can't (or couldn't at least) get my shapes down!

@Oglu - Things take time. I get it. But my aesthetic won't take long to do as it's not realistic or complex. I don't believe that I'm not trying hard enough; I've done a lot of research and taken the time to complete several tutorials and completed many of the Zbrush Classroom videos. I came here to ask if anyone else had had similar troubles starting off and to see if their experiences would reduce my "difficulty curve" and it did. Thank you for taking the time to comment as I appreciate hearing that it takes a long time (something which I already knew) but my difficulties came from unexpected problems that I couldn't solve AT THE FOUNDATION of sculpting. :) Not "I can't draw a perfect eye" but more like "holy crap I can't even get this to not look like a robo-tiki" xD

Above all, thanks everyone for your replies!
  • Travisty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

kanga said:
     I made a series of vids 

I didn't quite grasp this sentence. SO when I heard "my name is Kanga" I was like. I KNOW HIM. I KNOW THIS MAN. THE WIZARD, THE GOD..

Then I was like okay post here quickly and get back to the video.

Edit: Don't want to get ahead of myself and certainly don't want to be that person but uh. Atm you're my hero. xD This is so much easier for getting big forms down and even has the benefit of being able to T-Pose the model super easily using the angle constraints thing. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    TRAVISTY thanks man!
    Have fun with ZBrush and dont forget to post your stuff here in the wip forum and if you need help you can always post in the technical forum here. Folks at polycount are extremely helpful.

Cheerio
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Patience, passion, perseverance,  practice. It'll happen if you stick at it and love doing it. You're trying to learn 2 complex pieces of software simultaneously and are wondering why your artwork isn't as good as people who have been doing it for years, after just 1 month. :smile: 

Would you expect to start learning guitar and violin at the same time and be on par with Django Reinhardt and Stephane Grappelli after a month?

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'd back the suggestions to either start with zspheres at a low subdivision level, or to mash a few basic spheres and cylinders together to create the shapes that will later be dynameshed once they are all built and in place. The character is so simple in detail and smooth in shapes that 90% of the work will probably be in just getting that starting point established, relying more on the move and smooth brushes (lattice deformers can also be a big help if you're doing this externally). 

As far as feeling useless goes: bust out some speed sculpts/doodles from time to time. Just load up one of the project spheres or a simple basemesh head and spend somewhere between 15-30 minutes sculpting. It is good practice for getting used to brush behavior and trying out different ways to create a desired shape. And if the sculpt doesn't end up being satisfying then its not as big of a blow to the confidence since it was just a quick little exercise. 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    To add to what's already been mentioned, I've only just viewed your links and would definitely reiterate that you're starting WAY too high in resolution. If you have little to no experience sculpting then this is a very bad idea. Because you're only getting a feel for the brushes and how they behave you're having a nightmare controlling your forms due to the unnecessarily high resolution. I've linked a sculpting session vid/thought process that I did a little while ago that you may(or may not) find useful.(jump to 2min 50 to skip the preamble) Two things to note from the vid: 1 - I stay at a low dynmesh res for 90% of the process - for non 1-2 hour sessions like this I would generally use a multi- sub-D level mesh; this is a tried and tested sculpting method that has always been a common methodology since ZB's early days - 2 - I state that we all go through that stage of a sculpt when it just looks like s@@t! You just have to soldier on and break through that barrier. Also, @cryrid 's advice about doing quick speed sculpts/doodles is a gem. This alone will help you tremendously.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiPl9Gbbvgo

• Travisty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks again! I've been working in Blender and quickly threw a hammer together (nothing pretty; just a happy accident), UV'd it (first time. I uh. Learned a lot and through trial and error fixed several problems) and got it into UE4 :) I had to iterate on it a couple times and ultimately created two materials for the object too. One for the hammer and "inner handle" and one for an outer glass handle. This was a huge confidence boost but also just a nice reminder for why I'm doing this :) I was never expecting a pretty image. Just really wanted to nail something. Not make it super well rendered or anything. Just get it ingame and not feel bad about it. I wouldn't ever use this hammer. But with a proper design I know I can make a better one. :) Can't wait to actually get something through the entire pipeline (Blender, Zbrush, Substance once I get my money (tomorrow?), ect.) and get a look at it. Will be the prettiest cube I'll have ever made. 

I'll definitely post to Polycount for critique and help. Love communities that revolve around supporting and helping one another.