Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

The Forest Beast

jlmayen
vertex
Offline / Send Message
jlmayen vertex
Hello to everyone! I've seen there is a huge amount of insane works here, this is already an aptly-named challenge! I hope I have courage to finish this one. I started with a concept in Corel Painter, and made a rough start of the sculpt that I think I can already show. It's the first time I do a non-symmetrical model, but I think that to bring this concept to a good spot I have to work with less symmetry as possible. 

My idea is to make a tree-like beast with sci-fi armor elements. There's a story behind this concept that I want to tell with my work in progress, to make it more interesting for you all :smiley: . Besides this, I'm thinking on a specific way for texturing, to make it more appealing. Let's see in the coming weeks how my progress is.

I want to thank you all for having a look at it and would appreciate any kind of comment or constructive criticism.

Have fun!

Replies

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hello again, hereby my last progress. It's a pity because I had 21st on mind as the deadline, and I just realized is 11th, so only one week to go. I'll try my best to finish it on time!!! Loud and fast music on!!

• BrianDolan89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianDolan89 polycounter lvl 9
    Good Luck! Im digging the design so far! I actually feel like the more organic look instead of mechanical sci fi is working out better for you. Just my opinion though. lol Can't wait to see more! 
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, this direction is great :)
  • jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hey, thanks for your comments @BrianDolan89 and @Spoon ! I'll go for an organic look, as you suggest. Now I have a general pose and I'm working on details. I'll post something soon. :D
  • jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hello again, here I show my WIP on the pose and detailing. I added some nanomesh elements and now I'm texturing on Substance Designer, to render finally in Marmoset Toolbag. Sorry for not writing much more, but I'm on a rush and I hope I have time to do a base to my forest beast, also I need to work more on textures and render :sweat: . I hope you like it! Thanks for watching!

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hello again,

Here I show my progress with texturing in Substance Designer, and render in Marmoset Toolbag, not sure about the colors yet, and I'm trying also other texturing style (if it goes well, I'll show, hehe).

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hello again, some more color tests and finishing for the beast. The pedestal is still to do, I can foresee an interesting weekend, hehehe. I hope you like it, thank you!

• jlmayen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jlmayen vertex
    Hello again mates! Here I bring my FINAL SUBMISSION :D. I have done my best to finish it as I liked. Here is the story that inspired my concept from the beginning:

“During the last centuries, The Forest Beast has inhabited the woods, and he has been desperately wandering seeking for the Beauty. He has never realized that the Beauty is what lays within himself. He has the unique nest of shinning butterflies inside his back, and has never seen one of them; he is always looking to the darkness, until this precise moment...”

Now we go on the technical stuff :D
    Beast: 98790 tris
    3 Texture sets
    1x4096 for Main body + Eyes
    1x2048 for Roots on legs
    1x2048 for Butterflies + Leaves + Mushrooms
    Pedestal: 3484 tris
    1x2048 Texture set for the complete pedestal

Modeling/sculpting and UV unwrapping: ZBrush
    Texturing: Substance Designer and Substance Painter
    Rendering: Marmoset Toolbag 2

Well, I have to thank the organization for this really good contest, and to say also that it has been very productive for me, to improve my abilities and explore ZBrush+Substance+Toolbag workflow further, which will be really useful for my future works.

I wish everyone had fun and good luck!

Beauty shot

Detail shot

Story shot

Wireframe

Texture sets