Home General Discussion

Medical VR

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
alexmartina polycounter lvl 3
Hello polycounters

Dont know if this is the right place to ask this but here it goes :smile:

What would be a good budget to develop a medical VR so people can learn how the human blood cells works.
Kind of this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpj0emEGShQ

I calculated around $25K?

Replies

• littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    What platform are you developing on? how many medical conditions are you focusing on? who is the target audience?

As for development budget who is paying and why? you could say $1K bottom of the road $500K for the top of the range.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    It can get expensive quickly.. ;)

Will you be doing the coding as well?
  • alexmartina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for you both for taking a little bit of your time in helping me :blush:

@littleclaude - It will be for mobile. I will let try give you more information more later on. :wink:
    @cptSwing - Yes I know the price can go high really fast depend the work :wink: 
  • alexmartina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @littleclaude and @cptSwing
    This is the info I got so far.

1. In terms of platform they don't know. But they would like a suggestion that could work for this.
    2. So far it is only for 1 medical condition.
    3. The target audience will be for 20s to 60s year old in the USA.
    4. The client will be paying for this and the purpose is to educate and to help people understand what happens to their body.

For now thats all info I got based on your suggestion @littleclaude

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    I calculated around $25K?

I think that's too low.

Staffing/ hiring needs, I'd anticipate a project like that to hire:

- a writer
    - an SME (subject matter expert to work with writer); when you say "good" I won't expect a programmer to just copy from a medical text and make sense fromit
    - VR coder or two (depending on budget and alloted timeframe)
    - an artist or two for assets, UI, animation, engine prep; budget for their equipment and software if everybody must be on-site
    - producer, to liaise with client and production staff
    - QA/beta testers down the line
    - budget to fix bugs, apply client feedbacks
    - optional hires: voice talent narrator, sound engineer (audio, sfx, guy who'll record voice actor, etc.); videographer if client insist to include live footage ("Hi, I'm so and so from drug company.  Checkout our new drug.  See this VR show to understand how it works.")

You could probably save money by licensing or buying existing engine or game and just modding it for your project.  But I think key hire would be your lead coder who'll determine rest of staffing needs.  VR is fairly new I don't expect those guys to be cheap. First $25K from your budget would go to these guys or person. You'd probably want to contract your leads for a year's worth.

I'd go more like $150-200K, thereabouts for a "low budget" dev project.  Of course, payouts via milestones.
  • alexmartina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MagicSugar :)
    Woow thank you so much for all this information and thank you for your patient you took to help me out with my question.
    I think with all this info I got from you all that helped I will just need to wait and see they agree with the price B)

Again thank you @MagicSugar , @littleclaude, @cptSwing ;)
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    If you only can budget $25K, that's probably only good for a concept prototype video.  You won't necessarily need coders for that, maybe just a 3d artist specializing in medicine illustration.  You can show a video that's not true VR but rather "what it could look like" if client is willing to pay more.
  • alexmartina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MagicSugar
    Got it I think they want a VR presentation.
    I told them what you suggested so now im gonna wait and see what they think B)