Home Quixel Megascans

Solved: How to change baked object space normal map direction?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
brum polycounter lvl 6
Hi!

I'm sort of new to DDO but i found my way to the effect properties that use object space normal masking to apply directional effects.

When i open up the settings for it, the problem is that changing the sliders seems weird. I think it's easier if i just say what my spefific problem is.
I have my dirt layer go on the top of the model, and i want it to go on the bottom side instead. Okay, simple enough, the top/bottom slider is at 100. But when i change it to 0 it instead goes away completely. as if i changed it to Y = 0, instead of Y = -1 (effectively inverting Y axis). Am i doing something wrong, or is it impossible to change direction 180 degrees?

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Hey Okornyal!

Just use the invert button next to the slider - you'll want to use the top/bottom direction and invert that instead of inverting the entire object space map itself. :smile: 
  • brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    Hey Okornyal!

Just use the invert button next to the slider - you'll want to use the top/bottom direction and invert that instead of inverting the entire object space map itself. :smile: 
    Ah, thanks! I think my mistake was inverting the whole object space normal map, i didn't notice the individual inverters.

On a sidenote, are there any solutions towards fixing seams? It's really time consuming to go back in and paint over 4 individual channels to get rid of them.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Can you give me some examples of what you mean by seams? Also, why would you need to paint over the individual channels? Updating DynaMask for one layer will update it for all other layers associated with that layer in other channels. :smile: 
  • brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    Can you give me some examples of what you mean by seams? Also, why would you need to paint over the individual channels? Updating DynaMask for one layer will update it for all other layers associated with that layer in other channels. :smile: 
    Well, I'm currently working on a skeleton (LINK). Naturally i can't hide UV seams on all meshes. That means that DDO-generated detail will not cross over UV seams without creating seams (visible on the skull in the image), which i then have to open up in mudbox for all channels and manually blur them over so that the 2 sides bleed into each other.

If i understand what you are saying correctly, masking would only get rid of detail around the problem parts, which would just make it so that there wouldn't be any seam because there wouldn't be detail to create seams, which is not optimal. By painting over individual channels i mean painting albedo, then metallic, then gloss etc.

I think the correct solution would be that the program knows which edge connects to which edge, and grab the details from the other edge and blur it over, vice versa.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    What you could try:

Duplicate the layer giving you a seamed appearance
    Set the scale up or down one level in dDo
    Enter DynaMask, paint in randomly or as-needed to minimize the appearance of seams

Let me know if that helps! :smile: 
  • brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    What you could try:

Duplicate the layer giving you a seamed appearance
    Set the scale up or down one level in dDo
    Enter DynaMask, paint in randomly or as-needed to minimize the appearance of seams

Let me know if that helps! :smile: 
    Hey!

Thanks for the tips, but i think you're talking about different kind of seams, ones that result from maybe not having enough of a buffer zone outside of the UV shell.
    The seams I'm having trouble with are the ones that arise when Quixel generates things like oil and dirt noise; by themselves they're seamless, but when they are generated over different UV shells, they create seams because they're just a 2d effect that's overlaid on UV space.
    Those are why i have to go into mudbox/zbrush to blur over the edges of the UV shells, to make the two sides bleed into each other a bit, cancelling the bad seams.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    I'm actually referring to just that. :smile: 

Adjusting the scale of a layer and painting in as-needed can reduce or eliminate seams in some cases like yours. You may wish to try it out and see if it will help!
  • brum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brum polycounter lvl 6
    I'm actually referring to just that. :smile: 

Adjusting the scale of a layer and painting in as-needed can reduce or eliminate seams in some cases like yours. You may wish to try it out and see if it will help!
    Are there any resources on how to do this? I'm trying in my project, but i'm getting pretty inconsistent results. Google isn't giving me any results.
  • Synaesthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    You'd have to hop into our Quixel Hangout to see it in action - although be forewarned that it won't always fix the issue. I might have some time this evening to show you (EST) if you'd like to join up!