Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My development thread.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bird-jones polycounter lvl 13
I really want to get stuck into 3D sculpting, particularly ZBrush. I've dabbled every now and then, but I'm eager to become a strong sculpter with it. I want to post one sculpt at a time, receiving feedback on each one, in order to improve the next. I've lurked on polycount for a long time, but the community is too incredible to not use as a resource to self-improve.

Replies

• bird-jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bird-jones polycounter lvl 13
    Okay, this is my first sculpt, the 'brawler'. I have spent roughly 3 or 4 hours on this, which I feel is too long, considering the state it is currently in.

I am so irritated with stretched diamond-like polygons. Where the plaster (or band-aid) on his nose meets his swollen lower eyelid, there is horrid stretching. I am also unable to really do much with his lips, as any more detailing results in more stretched polygons.

Boredom as well as frustration finished this sculpt, I realise there are no details on the ears or polished form on the neck and chest.

Not sure whether it's worth noting that I used no reference at all for this sculpt, it's a (bad?) habit of mine.

I also find myself sculpting quite 'cartoony', I would really like to achieve more realistic sculpts in the future.

I hope you can steer me firmly in the right direction guys!

cheers.
  • Bigg__D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigg__D polycounter lvl 4
    Not bad for a first sculpt. First ask yourself what it is about this sculpt that gave you trouble, you mentioned stretched polys, not enough detail etc. Make a list of these problems & do the research on how to solve them. For example, stretched polys & various other mesh deformities will accumulate overtime so I think dynamesh is a tool that was made to solve that problem, thats just an example. Study forms, concept art & watch sculpting videos why not thats why people make them. Now I'm used to traditional poly modeling environments like 3ds max so when I came to Zbrush the interface & everything else was very foreign to me so I got a notebook & wrote down all the little basics of setting things up, customizing the interface, and basically everything I can learn from different sculpting videos, not a big deal to do, doesnt take that long and certainly doesnt fill up the notebook its just foundational stuff that I can build on later. Now, when sculpting, you should work in the lower subdivision levels as much as you can to blockout the basic forms until it looks good from different angles & you have all the features that you need in place before moving to the detailing phase. Another thing I can suggest for you is USE reference! Even if your plan on designing your own character or weapon etc, look at references that pertain to your subject.