Home General Discussion

Why are you successful?

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Hello, I am a student studying Game Design and am in need of those with experience in the creative industry.
Why are you successful?
Seems like a simple question but usually there is a lot more to it than "Just do A and then do B" and I would like to know your personal experiences.
How did you start out?
What inspired your journey?
Why did you keep going?
What is the 'end game'?
What is some advice you could give to the novices?

Please and thank you!

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Besides the answers you'll get, for more insight you should read through some of these threads:
    http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Game_Industry
  • DaleRutland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much!
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    I think a lot of us got into the industry with equal parts luck, determination, and networking. There is often a "right time/right place" aspect to landing your first industry job.

Q: How did you start out?
    A: Attended art school. Utilized my time at college by spending nearly every day (open-close) at the campus, working on my art, sitting in on classes I wasn't signed up for, working on personal projects, spending time on community forums such as Polycount, and entering contests/challenges. I was fortunate enough to, through networking on community sites, catch wind of an entry level position at a AAA studio with a personal referral from a friend. Landed the job, etc.

Q: What inspired your journey?
    A: I had attended college, for various disciplines... some game dev related... some not, prior to entering art school. By the time I decided to finally go to school again, I was living in a 2 bedroom apartment, with 5 friends, working 2 jobs. I wasn't happy with where my life was going, and realized that I could do something about it, so I saved up money, worked on my portfolio, and buckled down to 'do work'.

Q: Why did you keep going?
    A: I saw this as my final opportunity to change where my life was headed, and I felt that failure was simply not an option. Additionally, when I was in school, I realized that the vast majority of people interested in a career in game development really just liked to play games, and had unrealistic goals, mixed with little determination. Many people were simply happy with turning in a project and landing a passing grade, thinking that a piece of paper would land them their first job. This helped me maintain motivation, knowing the harsh reality of being fortunate enough to work in this industry, and how rare it is in the grand scheme of things.

Q: What is the 'end game'?
    A: Well, as you grow older, your goals tend to change. When I was younger, my end game was to work in the industry and become some superstar. I always had/have the goal of making interactive experiences for people to escape into. I was always motivated by the fact that, when I was a child, games gave me an escape from an otherwise unhappy life, and as such, the ability to give that to another child has always been my ultimate goal, and I feel that I've achieved that... which brings an enormous amount of joy to my life. Currently, I'm in my mid-thirties, and starting a family. So, I'd say my end-goal is to continue to become the best developer I can while focusing on my family and life outside of my career. My career is very important to me, but it is not my life anymore.

Q: What is some advice you could give to the novices?
    A:
    1. Realize that this is a small industry that has an enormous amount of competition at the entry level. Push yourself.
    2. Realize that you will never stop learning, and in-fact, learning should be your #1 asset in this industry.
    3. Balance your life inside and outside of this industry or you will get burned out.
    4. Understand that you will be entering a team... I have seen far too many new/entry level developers continue the competition mindset inside a studio, once they land their first job. This only damages you, and, unless you have inept management, will get you nowhere.
    5. Be realistic with your goals and do not delude yourself. If you can't look at a screenshot/trailer of a game and say "I can do that.", you're likely not ready.
    6. Be humble and learn to take criticism.
    7. There is no 'idea guy'.

I hope my ramblings make sense in some way. Good luck! :)
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Eric already put the wiki link here, but I wanted to point out two threads that have tons of info similar to what you asked:

What has the games industry been like for you?

Getting into the Game Industry (Inspiration of a different kind)
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I think the first few questions don't really pertain to me (I joined the industry back in 2000.. most of what I have to say is irrelevant).

What is the 'end game'?
    Huge misconception. There is no end game. I guess Death or disability?
    You're an artist or you're not.

I've seen so many artists get into the industry, then stop making art.

When you go home you make art. It's just who you are and what you do. There is no 'End Game', and there is no end. This is just who you are, and this is what you love.

Think of it like this:
    When does a musician stop playing music?
    When they finally get a paid gig, do they stop playing? Do they stop practicing? When they sign a recording deal or go on tour, is that the end of them ever playing?
    Once they sell a million copies, do they just stop being musicians?

I don't know how 'End Game' should even be a consideration. 

What is some advice you could give to the novices?
    Same advice I give professionals. Never stop learning.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Honestly, I'm successful because I didn't stop trying to get to where I wanted to be. Giving up is the first and only step to complete failure. 
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Geezus said:
    I think a lot of us got into the industry with equal parts luck, determination, and networking. There is often a "right time/right place" aspect to landing your first industry job.
    This! But you can help it with a great folio, a great attitude and when you're willing to take some calculated risks. E.g. I paid a moderate sum to get to my first interview (~ 150 pounds) - against most advice to never pay for travel costs - and I got my first industry job, because I was confident I could win them over in the interview.

Q: What is the 'end game'?
    Depends, for me the two pathways are either specialization or management. Whereas I don't see management as a means to boss people around but to help them doing a better job, to remove obstacles, and to let them being successful at what they do. Giving guidance, passing on your knowledge and seeing people succeed can be hugely rewarding.

Also, as Geezus said, your perspectives, goals and priorities will likely change. And that's totally okay. I respect people who have been a long time in the industry, but I also respect people who realized that there is reward for them outside the industry. It's a challenging step to say "I'm moving on". Definitely much better than burning out or being stuck. Some people are happy at a certain career level, and I think that's great too - if you find your place, where you excel, then this is a great accomplishment by itself.

Q: What is some advice you could give to the novices?
    going to quote some previous posters:
    * be humble
    * but stand up for what you believe - don't let anyone put you down or abuse you!
    * never give up
    * be open to change direction - new software, new workflows, new skills, new styles, new types of work. Never get too attached!
    * details, details, details - In software even a small bug can bring down the biggest game. Don't be sloppy. Pay attention to detail!
    * introspection: question yourself, the way you work, the way you interact, the art you create and improve, improve, improve
    * know thyself & know your strengths: if you practice but there's no payback, don't be afraid to try something else. For example, why be a mediocre character artist when you could be a kickass environment guy, or scripter, or lead? Just give it a try and discover your strengths!
    * Keep a healthy and professional distance to your work. This makes it easier to deal with setbacks, criticism and introspection in a professional manner
    * keep learning
    * share your knowledge!
    * and have fun!

• Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
    Some of use will get by on Charisma, some will get by on natural talent, some know people in Industry and some people will just get lucky.

Yet the one thing you can always rely on is your own ability and the value that you create, invest in yourself and you will make it.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Bletzkarn said:
    Some of use will get by on Charisma, some will get by on natural talent, some know people in Industry and some people will just get lucky.

Yet the one thing you can always rely on is your own ability and the value that you create, invest in yourself and you will make it.

Which is why I'm always against this idea of ''just make good contacts and you'll eventually get there''.

Sure networking is an efficient way of entering this industry (or any other) but personal skills has always been top priority for me.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    nobody likes divas. But having good work habits and being very skilled isn't mutually exclusive. As a professional you have to work on both aspects, as both are equally important to the work as we do it, which is team based, collaborative and creative. Some of the best people I met in the industry didn't just have kickass skills, they were also really great to deal with. If you're only strong in one area, whichever it may be, you'll likely not make it to the top.

You can definitely learn to become a better professional. However it is often more difficult than honing your artistic or technical skills, because it means that you may have to change your personality in some regards. You may have to listen, to accept critique, have the courage to ask questions and take responsibility for what you do. Some of us also have to learn to say "no" to other people.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky ("The Great One", regarded as best all around hockey player of all time for those that don't know).  One of the best quotes for just living life in general.  The reason I am "successful" (I hate that word when it comes to people's careers, and my personal career, as there is no hard line definition of successful IMO) when it comes to have making it into the games industry... Slipsius said it perfectly.  We didn't stop when the going got tough and there seemed like there was absolutely no way in hell we could make a living off of game development.  We kept pushing onward, knowing that when it gets tough, that's when you start growing and pushing yourself.  

It is just like exercise, when you start feeling the burn, that is when you are now actually working on muscle development.  Everything before that is warm up to the actual growth.  When you get the level of "fitness" you don't stop there, you don't give up because at that point you can refine muscle growth, refine diet, etc.  If you get comfortable and are happy with where you are right at that moment and dont keep up on skills and muscle refinement... you start losing that grasp on that level of fitness.  Just like getting into the industry.  You fight to get to that entry spot, the spot you were shooting for, then you get into the grove of work and skillset refinement.

It's not a matter of just getting into the industry, its how you live your life.  People who are "successful" in one area of their life (this case would be the game industry), for the most part are "successful" in other areas of their life.  They stay fit, or they excel in post-work hobbies/spots, they keep tight schedules and regiments, maintain a family, etc.  Its all a lifestyle, not just a job. 
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Add3r said:
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky ("The Great One", regarded as best all around hockey player of all time for those that don't know).

• Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    define success, who cares anyway
    i kind of survive and that's good enough for now
  • Kitty|Owl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kitty|Owl polycounter lvl 3
    success is unimportant, only failure can make you better.

basically, do what you want to do and you can consider yourself a success, whether you excel or not in what that is.
  • 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    last game I shipped got rated "game of the year" by a lot of places. I still don't feel like I'm "successful" by my measure of the word. A lot of people probably never will.