Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio Critique] Environment Artist

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
degrathy polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys, i'd like to introduce my portfolio and actually progress of my gamearts.
I wish to get feedbacks and maybe some tips, because i have a lot of problems with materials and concepting.
So what i've got for ~1 year of self-education.
I always don't want to hide something and for every model i add marmoset viewer, so you can probably see more in Artstation.

Subplasma gun. Made on Karanak's concept.

Sci-Fi Door

Sci-fi Corridor
In artstation i added every prop of the scene and you can see it in marmoset.

Ballista, or crossbow for projecting heavy missiles, 1588.

Replies

• degrathy
  • tomenjerry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tomenjerry polycounter lvl 6
    You do a better job than me, making (semi) realistic looking stuff. And I'm by no means an expert. But... I think the bottom scene, the desert one looks a little empty, the grass and rocks seem to come a bit out of nowhere, maybe some mid sized rocks to tie it a bit together?
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    I think adding some ground material around the rocks to transitions from rock to sand could look good
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    You seem to have a pretty solid understanding I think that the thing that is lacking the most is your texturing. Everything looks pretty flat and boring in color and roughness. Try to add more roughness variation especially in your sci fi corridor. The other thing that sticks out a lot is that the cliff scene is really monochromatic making it look a little dull I think it could benefit with a good second color to accent all the tan.
  • degrathy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You do a better job than me, making (semi) realistic looking stuff. And I'm by no means an expert. But... I think the bottom scene, the desert one looks a little empty, the grass and rocks seem to come a bit out of nowhere, maybe some mid sized rocks to tie it a bit together?
    Thanks for your feedback, i already have them(i put them next to my main cliffs), i thought will be a great idea if this emptiness will guide people where you should look for. 
  • degrathy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle said:
    I think adding some ground material around the rocks to transitions from rock to sand could look good
    Thanks for feedback! I have 3 types of sand and i really forgot about another rock near rocks, thanks. But i think, i won't continue working on this scene, i need to go forward and learn other stuff.
  • degrathy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D said:
    You seem to have a pretty solid understanding I think that the thing that is lacking the most is your texturing. Everything looks pretty flat and boring in color and roughness. Try to add more roughness variation especially in your sci fi corridor. The other thing that sticks out a lot is that the cliff scene is really monochromatic making it look a little dull I think it could benefit with a good second color to accent all the tan.
    Thanks for feedback!
    I thought deserts must to be like that. It need to feel boring and emptiness.
    And i have a lot of problems with textures, i just can't figure out how to work with them and only practice will solve this problem...
  • degrathy
  • Savannakhet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Savannakhet polycounter lvl 11
    The Ballista: this is a mint model, but it's presented pretty badly, just sat on a square plane with a tiling texture that makes the overal image look a bit too busy. Find a better way to present it.

Desert environment: again, as others have said Flat lighting and no variation in texture hue spoil this. The ground is pretty plane too.

SMG: lose the black outline around the gun :p 
  • Seeberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seeberg polycounter lvl 6
    I agree with Jaston you should add more roughness variations. For the texturing also add some wear and tear to it, everything looks to pristine. In your SMG you have added some edge damage but I think you can take it further. Where the safety switch is there would be a high roughness value because it would be used a lot. Same with the grip, oil from hands or rubbing from gloves would have worn down the paint some. Then some burning or smoke near the muzzle from firing the gun. Small stuff like that can really add that small sense of realism to a piece. 

• degrathy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Ballista: this is a mint model, but it's presented pretty badly, just sat on a square plane with a tiling texture that makes the overal image look a bit too busy. Find a better way to present it.

Desert environment: again, as others have said Flat lighting and no variation in texture hue spoil this. The ground is pretty plane too.

SMG: lose the black outline around the gun
    Thanks for feedback.
    First and second really truth, maybe i should really fix it, even if they already has been posted...
    I just didn't get with lines, do you think without them will be better?
    I tried it and well, it looks worse...
  • degrathy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Jaston you should add more roughness variations. For the texturing also add some wear and tear to it, everything looks to pristine. In your SMG you have added some edge damage but I think you can take it further. Where the safety switch is there would be a high roughness value because it would be used a lot. Same with the grip, oil from hands or rubbing from gloves would have worn down the paint some. Then some burning or smoke near the muzzle from firing the gun. Small stuff like that can really add that small sense of realism to a piece. 

Could you please show example with a good roughness in marmoset, i wish to see a good glossy. Because i still making bad textures.
    I can't understand why not enough variation and where i could stop.

• ActionDawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ActionDawg greentooth
    Just do some material studies and test your results as you go. Comparing to real world references is the best way.
  • degrathy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    somedoggy said:
    Just do some material studies and test your results as you go. Comparing to real world references is the best way.
    Yeah, i made few simple primitives and textured it, but i think i just don't known a secret formula in mind how good texture should look.