Home Unity

Why is default Unity so terrible for Modular Level Design?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Bletzkarn polycounter lvl 6
I'm trying to create accurately measured "snap-fit" assets but it is do difficult to duplicate and position assets, the grid snap doesn't work at all (constantly getting incorrect positions) and duplicating and rotating assets is a nightmare.

Surely this isn't the way industry does it? Do I need to buy ProGrids 2.0? What is the secret to creating good levels in unity?

Replies

• Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Bletzkarn said:
    I'm trying to create accurately measured "snap-fit" assets but it is do difficult to duplicate and position assets, the grid snap doesn't work at all (constantly getting incorrect positions) and duplicating and rotating assets is a nightmare.

Surely this isn't the way industry does it? Do I need to buy ProGrids 2.0? What is the secret to creating good levels in unity?
    Hold V for vertex snapping.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've used grid snapping just fine. Are you sure your assets are built to the grid? And your grid spacing is set to match? A screenshot or two would help.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I've never had much trouble snapping in Unity tbh.  Vertex snapping is super great, and if you are building stuff correctly grid snapping is fine.  Have you tested your modular bits in ue4 as well?  Maybe there is something off about your pieces?

Also, you don't "need" ProGrids, but it is still awesome and definitely a time saver.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will start using V for vertex snapping! thankyou. Well I'm just using a simple plane set to 10mx10m in 3DS Max for testing exported as a .fbx but yea every single time I move on it says it's off. I will use V from now on and will still look into progrids.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What are your units set to in 3ds Max?
    Customize menu, Units Setup, System Unit Setup.
    It should be 1 unit = 1 Meter (or 1 Centimeter)
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey I'm not sure I'm slowly starting to hit tutorials which touch on this but this will help a lot I'm sure.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Also make sure you hit the system units button in that dialog because the system units are what gets exported, the first dialog is just for display.
  • Bletzkarn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys I will make sure to implement all these tips ASAP. There hasn't been too many tutorials or support that I can find so this forum helps a tonne.