Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy Practice

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
kmacneil91 polycounter lvl 7
Hello, anatomy gurus! I'm a noob in need of some critique before I break my symmetry and start posting.

Much appreciated! :)

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Way too high subdiv too early there. Probably want to lower the z intensity as well. And more ref.

You using basemesh or dynamesh, btw ?

Also, we could help more if we know what kind of character is that. mid-weight wrestler ?

More ref here - https://www.pinterest.com/PyrZern/anatomy-overview/

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    PyrZern said:
    Way too high subdiv too early there. Probably want to lower the z intensity as well. And more ref.

Agreed. Unless you know what you're doing(anatomy-wise) and are completely comfortable controlling the brushes, you should avoid jumping up the levels before you have the basic bony landmarks/proportions/forms/silhouette established; as this inevitably ends up with classic beginner result of mushy, lumpy forms. You should be getting all of the above in place on as low-poly a mesh as you can.

My own personal rule when sculpting(or even modeling hard-surface) is: only add geo when and if you need it when you can't get the required forms with the geo you have.

Most of the time when sculpting characters/creatures I'll be sub-100K for 90% of the entire sculpt.

Also, using refs is essential, and can't be stressed enough. That way the more you will build your anatomical 'muscle-memory', as you sculpt, and the better you'll progress as this stuff eventually becomes knowledge that you can instinctively draw upon the more you practice sculpting.

• kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Def. agree that more reference helps. Some questions/comments:

· You using basemesh or dynamesh, btw ?

Started with a base mesh and Dynameshed it

· Probably want to lower the z intensity as well

For sure, so basically more subtle detail?

· Is that a mid-weight wrestler ?

I wanted to try an average weight character that is semi-fit.

Regarding subdivisions: I started with a really low resolution Dynamesh and started working my way up a little higher each time I felt more detail couldn’t be added. Is there a better way to approach this? I always seem to get the feedback that my mesh is mushy so I was hoping I did it right this time, lol. 

• kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Legs are too short
  • kmacneil91
    Options
    Offline / Send Message