Home Marmoset

Legcy/oldschool shading in Marmoset 2?

hero character
Offline / Send Message
lotet hero character
might be a silly question, but like the title suggest, anyone know a setup for legacy shading in marmoset 2?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, it sort of depends on what you mean by legacy.

If you mean pre-PBR diffuse/spec/gloss, this is pretty easy to set up, simply use the default shader, and in the reflectivity tab turn Fresnel to 0 and turn off Conserve Energy. This will work give pretty similar results to older shaders.

If you mean you want a diffuse only shader, load your diffuse into the albedo slot, and don't load a normal, gloss, or spec map. Additioanlly, you can set Specular Intensity and Fresnel to 0 if you don't want any specular reflections.

If you mean old school flat lighting, change the Diffusion model from Lambertian to Unlit. You can also turn off texture filtering in the per-texture options box.

Lots of options depending on what you want to do. If there is a particular style or shader you're trying to mimic let me know and I'll see if I can give you more advice.

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Thanks!
    great answer! Im looking pretty at much all of those options, not really for any specific project, but sometimes I work on projects that are pre PBR, (Unity 4,  UDK 3) and I need to pre-vis it, and I love Marmoset.

is there anyway to get the legacy ambient light going on too? like pre IBL, maybe ad a skybox thats just white or somehing? would that work?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, if you just want a solid color for ambient you could do that. What you'll need to do is just make an image (size doesn't matter if it's just a solid color), with whatever color you want, and then load it by clicking the Image button in the Sky Light object.

You could also paint your own ambient light if you want more detail than a solid color, like a gradient for instance or more of a stylized environment. If doing this, make an image of 2:1 ratio (ie, 2048x1024) and paint it like a spherical panoramic format, make sure the sides tile and don't use much detail on the top and button poles and it should look okay.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character