Home Technical Talk

Dota 2 - importing hero animations into Max?

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
THE 5 polycounter lvl 14
Back in October 2014 I worked on a Sven set but the files provided by valve had some errors with the scale and pose. Thankfully hayes87 provided me with a decompiled version back then.

Now here I am again working on a new set for Sven. While valve's files are still outdated, the old decompiled files seem to be ok. At least a quick import of my blockout did not show any obvious scale issues like a had previously.
However since that new set is quite massive I want to adjust the block-out to prevent excessive clipping.
Changing the skin weights and re-exporting after every adjustment seems rather pointless though, so I wanted to try and decompile the animations myself to get them into Max.
I did not manage to decompile them successfully in the past and the new Source 2 makes it even more difficult to find tutorials on how to approach this.

With a guide by
stkopp I managed to export the .dmx file for the animation but it does not seem like that can be imported into Max in any way.
I did read you could import the old .smd files, but it source 2 no got some new .vanim_c format apparently.

So is there some way to get the animations into Max (2015)?
Possibly just the old .smd files if anyone got them at hand.
I found Tvidotto's archive on google drive but there seem to be no animations there.

Moreover, if there is any walk-trough on how to get the new files decompiled and into Max (2015) I'd be happy to know!