Home Technical Talk

Layered Texture Node Help

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ozzy310 polycounter lvl 8

Hey, Polycounters

I need confirmation on a few things which I couldn’t find anywhere else. I’m trying to blend 4 different texture maps onto one object/ mesh by using the layered texture node. I have set everything up such as creating 4 separate UV sets and UV centric/ UV linking for each texture map. So far blending 2 texture maps onto the mesh works perfectly fine, but when applying 4 texture maps in the node it does not work. I begin to paint onto the mesh and only the first and last texture looks fine and the textures in between do not they come out transparent (Picture below)

I’m wondering when it comes to using Layered Texture node, can it only support 2 texture maps to paint onto the mesh without a mask? So far what I have found which I haven’t yet tested indicates that if I want to use 4 texture maps for one object I would need to create a mask for each texture map to avoid having any transparency issues. Is this right? 

Thanks

Replies

• bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I'm unsure how many layers you can have with layered texture, but I'd use shaderfx to do that type of blending, it's much more efficient. Make sure you turn on DirectX on your maya on the settings preferences for that to work.

• ozzy310
    Offline / Send Message

Yeah, I came across shaderfx, but currently I have Maya 2013 I don’t think that feature is available to me unless I upgrade. Plus, I have invested too much time into this I want to find out whether the information is correct and if not how to go about using it correctly (haha) 

Thanks for the info though 

• ozzy310
    Offline / Send Message

When it comes to vertex painting blending 4 texture maps does not work.  I applied 4 masks or alpha maps for each texture and it works! (Picture Below) So blending more than 2 texture maps alpha maps are required also to avoid any transparency issues as far as I know when it comes to using Layered texture node.

I also came across an issue where I couldn’t see it in the viewport except for rendering it. If you want to see it in the view port you need to go to material and under hardware texturing the textured channel needs to be change from none to combine textures. If it looks pixelated the texture resolution can be changed as well. You can also see it under high quality render.

• ozzy310
    Offline / Send Message

I have another problem hopefully someone can shed some light to it. Vertex painting didn’t work out as I thought it would and applying a mask for tileable textures does not work especially if the UV’s is outside the 0 to 1 space.

So my question would be how to Vertex paint two or more tileable textures onto one mesh in Maya 2013? 

• jStins
    Offline / Send Message
    jStins interpolator
    Is it possible to force the mask to use a separate UV set? So your main UVs would be scaled outside of 0-1 (tiling), but UV set 2 would be restricted to 0-1 (mask).

Good luck and nice textures btw.
  • ozzy310
    Offline / Send Message
    Ill give it a try, thanks.