Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

Nitecon - The adaptation

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Backstory:
It has been 2 winters since I last saw my beloved Belle, the news today has been utterly dire.  What kindness I still feel in my heart has almost all but vanished.  I feel the hatred and anger boil within me, what once was silent has newly arisen.  I do not know if I can contain the monster within should the fate of my Belle be true!

Some modeling details:
Wife is one of the biggest B&B fans I've ever met and still sings the songs in that movie as she knows them by heart, so I promised that I will try to keep at least some resemblance with the original beast, although I'm not sure I will stay too true with the original, but my backstory will stay my inspiration as that is what I want to model the character after.  The curse that was once lifted has caused his body to adapt in a way humans normally do not and with the terrible news allowing him to transform into his old but adapted form.

Main sources of inspiration:
The beast character from beauty and the beast and Dynamesh (Initially)

Replies

• Nitecon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My initial clay buildup in zbrush still trying to figure out whether it is something I want to stick to and whether I want to keep the tail etc.

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Hi!  I would say work at a smaller subd level and really find those forms/shapes you are looking for.  That should help you out with concepting and really getting a solid base mesh to build off of.
  • Nitecon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice @Dimfist the pic above is all in dynamesh still I haven't take it out of it's original dynamesh yet but will most likely do that now so I could start with the base forms.
  • Nitecon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So haven't quite finished my initial dynamesh concept yet, not sure why I like this one so much but with this one it has a slight resemblence of the old prince (mostly in the hair).  The idea is to have him be able to be both 2 legged and 4 legged with giant hands / claws able to scale mountains if need be.  In the original movie the prince was turned into a beast for his selfish and cold hearted ways. In this evolution I want the beast to be transformed in more of a weapon of vengeance with enormous upper body strength with claws that can rip flesh and bone of those that hurt his true love.  The idea behind the furry legs is to play with the idea of also very powerful legs but those which will allow for enhanced speed, as the curse that once bound him to be isolated from people for his behavior has now been mutated by his hatred and desire for vengeance which in turn transformed his body into an almost unrecognizable destroyer.

Some more WIP pics:

And

Any critique / criticisms is very welcome!  
  • Nitecon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So the more I looked at my original monster the more I hated it, it must have been the beer that made me like it.  I decided to start over stay fairly close to the original story but base it off the human version of the prince.  Some progress I made over the last few days + one more later tonight once I get the eyes cleaned up a bit + retopo

I want him to look as though he is heavily injured after a heavy fight to get to Belle and just prior to collapsing after he sees the fate of Belle.
  • Nitecon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Slashed in the stomache and only barely holding on.  I kinda like this look, and this is what I'll probably stick with hopefully.  Next up is t-pose then some clothes + more detail sculpts, not sure if I want to keep the top body unclothed. After that maybe a pedestal and painter to do the fun stuff.  Any comments / critiques would be very much appreciated.