Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

Project B.E.A.S.T. - Cyworg

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Good day,

My favorite part about the beast character is that it is often labeled as a horrific monster, but is in fact anything but a beast. It is not a monster, but a gentle creature who is hunted for what mankind perceives it to be. It is locked away and feared for what it looks like, or for what it may have done in the past. Atonement, I believe, is what the beast desires but the world that has created it will not allow it to be anything but a ruthless monster.

I am excited to introduce my interpretation of The Beast. Here is my 100-word description (which should be read with Don LaFontaine's voice in mind):

"Down in a bunker far below the Earth’s war-torn surface, resides a Cyworg, the last of its kind. Scientifically known as a Bionically-Engineered Arsenal of Superior Threat (B.E.A.S.T.). Originally created as an infantry-class weapon, but due to the tinkering from a little engineer who calls herself “Beauty”, this war machine has found empathy for all living things. Knowing that mankind will only use it for carnage, it has chosen to hide itself from the world. Beauty has been guarding her Cyworg friend for years, but dust on the horizon means trouble is coming and it is time to run."

I think my biggest challenge with this character is creating a sense of empathy for the viewer. It's true nature must shine through the terrifying shell of it's body and I also want Beauty's presence to be made by a prop or something. I want to create a Beast that is inspired by 1980's action movies and the sweet music of New Retro Wave. So far, I have a few concepts drawn up, all with different strengths and weaknesses.

The pink thing in his claws is a toolbox, which I think is a good prop to hint at Beauty's tinkerer role, since it contains the tools that has given the creature more to life than blind rage. I think the beast needs more details to make it more interesting, but I'll play around with that in ZBrush. Time to move on and start my block out. More to come! 

Replies

• InkHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress update: Rough block-out in ZBrush, working on the silhouette and basic defining shapes. Forms are still goopy, but it's a start.

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I like the first concept a lot.  Especially the face area.  Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
  • InkHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dimfist Thanks, I think the first one leans too much towards horror though. I want to show a little humanity somewhere which will defend the idea that he is more than just a monster.
  • InkHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress Update - Been working on defining the main shapes. I'm happy with the pose and silhouette, but I want to add more damage to his body to show the metal framework beneath because it's the most interesting part. I'll experiment with an entire robotic arm next, as well as continuing to experiment with his facial expression, can't find one I'm happy with yet. Later I want to experiment with a cloth element, some sort of rope/chains, and leather straps to add some variety to the mix. More to come!

• InkHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress Update - Went ahead and obliterated his right arm to show the awesome cyborg-goodness beneath. I need to readjust it a little so it could fit underneath his skin. I still need to get around to that facial expression...More to come!

• InkHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress update - I added Beauty's bag of tools and gave him a smile. I'm aiming to have him looking down at the bag fondly, grateful to Beauty for tinkering and making him more than a beast. I still want to add a vertical element to break up the horizontal lines from his side view. Either with a chain/rope wrapping around his arm and draping down his side, or idk something else..maybe some cobwebs that I could achieve with an alpha texture, who knows? Also, I think I'm going to make his gun look more like a railgun, with the tuning fork-like barrel. More to come!