Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

Beast-The Water Mouth

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
Hey!  Getting a late start but blocked in the basic shape and working on defining.  

So i've done a bit more work based off a more expanded concept.  Will post pics tonight.

The Watermouth Beast - a creature born of mutation and evolution, with some shark bits and humanoid bits, possibly born of the Old Gods.  One of a kind, forced to travel the seas alone.  His visage grotesque, and thus fearful.  What luck, when a cruise ship passes by him as he soaks up some sun and a red high heel shoe falls from above to splash in the water next to him.  He grabs the shoe and traces the path back up to the decks above.  A beautiful woman is staring down at him in disbelief.  There is no fear on her face, just wonderment, and at this moment, the Watermouth falls deeply in love.  He watches her as the cruise ship passes, feeling emotions he has never felt before.  He tightens his grip on the shoe and sinks into the water after he can no longer see her.

Update:  Thanks for extended the deadline.  Here is the final.  With prop, pedestal and Hero it is 69k tris, used 3 Maps, 2048 for the beast (albedo, spec and normals) 1028 map for the pedestal and 1028map for the prop.

Replies

• Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    refining some shapes and playing with some ideas.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd really love some feedback on this guys.  Help me get better!  Thanks
  • InkHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, so the gaping hole in the chest, is it going to have teeth there or something similar? I think the anatomy looks good, maybe tweak the position of the tail so it's resting on the floor helping him balance. I'd start playing around with details that could tell a story, like some seaweed/netting draped on him or a fish hook caught in his fin. Idk, something to give it a little more character. Great concept thus far, keep going!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @InkHero
    Thanks for the feedback.  Yes I was planning on having rows of teeth similar to a shark, and overall going to push his center of balance forward when i start to pose.  I definitely like the idea of adding swampy leafy stuff hanging from him.  I might have to steel the fish hook idea :smiley: 
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i've done a bit more work based off a more expanded concept.  Will post pics tonight.

The Watermouth Beast - a creature born of mutation and evolution, with some shark bits and humanoid bits, possibly born of the Old Gods.  One of a kind, forced to travel the seas alone.  His visage grotesque, and thus fearful.  What luck, when a cruise ship passes by him as he soaks up some sun and a red high heel shoe falls from above to splash in the water next to him.  He grabs the shoe and traces the path back up to the decks above.  A beautiful woman is staring down at him in disbelief.  There is no fear on her face, just wonderment, and at this moment, the Watermouth falls deeply in love.  He watches her as the cruise ship passes, feeling emotions he has never felt before.  He tightens his grip on the shoe and sinks into the water after he can no longer see her.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little more progress for the Beast contest. Decided to change it up quite a bit. I felt giving it more of a face, even if it's hammerhead-ish would help bring a little more empathy to his backstory. I will be adding barnacles and starfish to his back as well as texturing everything after I finish up the anatomy.
  • Pixelgorilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pixelgorilla polycounter lvl 2
    looks great, cool idea!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:  Working on adding some noise in the form of barnacles and shells and a lonely starfish.   Got quite a lot left today before I can work on the shoe and base.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some refinements done but looks like i'm running out of time.  Going to do a texture job and see if I can get a low poly done before the weekend is over.  Still need to do a pedestal and shoe plus add some seaweed  for looks.  Wish me luck!
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finals are at the top!