Home Contests & Challenges Archives Allegorithmic's the Beast

"Lily was here"

Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Welcome to my thread.

This is a short background story: 

After decades of practice he had mastered dark powers of chaos.
He knew though, that dealing with chaos would not stay unnoticed by other magicians. 
To keep his tower safe he had to secure one and only possible way  of reaching it- by a vast maze of dungeons. What he needed to keep this route safe was a guard. 

Experiments took all long months. After dozens of trials and summoning hordes of minions he had managed to call a demon so terrifying that even warlock himself was amazed by it's ugliness. Servant looked like a giant, slimy worm with a huge mouth shaped like a flower of lily. What was not lily alike was a scent that it followed
and it's hunger for flesh...

This horrible creature became a crawling nightmare of heroes that had courage to leave daylight far behind them and went deep into dungeons full of treacherous paths, echoes of dripping water and slimy walls... Only few of them had the opportunity to see "Lily" and told about her existence to the world.

I've spent a few days on developing my final concept and here it is:

Replies

• Shamaz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very cool concept!
  • octokitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    octokitty polycounter lvl 14
    Nice concept, will look forward to the sculpt!
  • luxxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHAMAZ, OCTOKITTY- thanks. I'll try to post early sculpting results during weekend.
  • RakibHasan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RakibHasan polycounter lvl 5
    oh man.this one is going to be awesome. 
  • fantasymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    Lovely concept. Looking forward to the sculpting pass. 
  • luxxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

So I've almost finished my dynamesh phase. I've decided to change my concept a bit, but those were minor changes. I'am working now on teeth and claws. After finishing this stage and checking proportions and composition I'll start going deeper into sculpting details.

• Enalya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is rad, your sketches are amazing and it's refreshing original! Following :)
  • luxxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ENALYA- thank You :)
    Hi guys and gals after a while. I have finally found time to post next milestone of my work. I've spent dozens of hours on tweaking model's proportions, sculpting folds of skin, scales, tens of monster's theet (86!), creating a pedestal etc.
    This is what I've had 3 days ago:
    - high poly model-  almost finished,
    - high poly and low poly pedestal- finished (normal map baked),
    I'm currently working on adding a few small props like bones and arrows (nothing complex). In next step I'm going to remesh everything in Zbrush, create UVs and start painting in Substance Painter tomorrow. 2 days and 3 nights... yep. I can do this. :-D

EDIT: New deadline -17.04.2016!!  YUPPY!!! :p 

WIP:

• fantasymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    Looks a bit like a reptile skin. Maybe add some more botanical features like in your concept.
  • BrianDolan89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrianDolan89 polycounter lvl 9
    I cannot wait to see this textured. Great detail. 
  • luxxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FANTASYMASTER- I had it sculpted without  scales and it looked a bit too vulnarable. I will put a dozen of arrows and spears in monster's skin to emphasize even more it's toughness. Inner of it's mouth will be slimy, shiny and ugly though :). I think that this contrast will work here (hard/soft).

BRIANDOLAN89- Thanks. I could go deeper into even more detail, but I think that this can be easily done in Substance Painter. I'm still thinking about color palette.
  • luxxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Who's Lily? -
    After decades of practice he had mastered dark powers of chaos.
    He knew though, that dealing with chaos would not stay unnoticed by other magicians. 
    To keep his tower safe he had to secure one and only possible way  of reaching it- by a vast maze of dungeons. What he needed to keep this route safe was a guard. 

Experiments took all long months. After dozens of trials and summoning hordes of minions he had managed to call a demon so terrifying that even warlock himself was amazed by it's ugliness. Servant looked like a giant, slimy worm with a huge mouth shaped like a flower of lily. What was not lily alike was a scent that it followed 
    and it's hunger for flesh...

This horrible creature became a crawling nightmare of heroes that had courage to leave daylight far behind them and went deep into dungeons full of treacherous paths, echoes of dripping water and slimy walls... Only few of them had the opportunity to see "Lily" and told about her existence to the world.

So here is final version of my Beast:

It's time to get some sleep.... finally. 7 minutes before the deadline! I made it! Yeah!!!

• luxxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Software used:
    Zbrush- high poly, low poly
    Blender- low poly + UV mapping
    Substance Painter- Texturing and final rendering

• luxxo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message