Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechanized Concept Art

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
AlexRieger polycounter lvl 2
Hey fellow polycounters, i'm fairly new here I've been browsing around on this site for about a year and recently decided to become active on here because I really want to get my work to a professional level, with my goal being getting hired for gigs in the process. 

So i'll start off by posting what i have right now to show and will continue to update this thread as i produce more work. I'm looking for constructive feedback that i can use to improve my work.

The artwork here so far consists of concepts and textures i did for a game project i'm working on with my brother called Mechanized. 

Replies

• RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    Hello. Best of luck with your project.
    In that hallway concept, if all the robots are to have the same size then I think the perspective is off.

EDIT: With the yellow rectangles representing the correct robot height at different points in the scene.

If you want to study more perspective, I highly recommend these two resources:
    - Andrew Loomis' book "Successful Drawing", he shows a lot of practical examples of how to transfer measures within the perspective space.
    - Handprint's mega tutorial on perspective: http://handprint.com/HP/WCL/perspect3.html#measurepoints
    (Specifically the part about the measuring points and measuring bars. Once you establish the cone of view, you can use the m. points and m. bars to accurately transfer measures inside the perspective space. That section explains it for 2-point-perspective, but you can still use it for central-perspective which is what you're using in your concept.)

When you're pressed for time you can use a 3D block-in, making a simple representation of that scene with 3D software using boxes etc., placing a camera at the desired location and angle and then screengrabbing or rendering it to use as reference in your painting software.
    This gives you flawless perspective and is really fast depending on your modelling speed, though you should only use this method once you already know perspective -- it's not meant to 'bypass' knowing perspective, especially because you'll increment the simple 3D scene with additional drawing in perspective.